Why should I register?
[click to register]
In order to fully utilize the abilitites of this bowl, the administrator will probably require that you register as a member. Registration is free, and allows you to do the following:
- Send private messages to other members (e.g. a instant message like ICQ)
- Create polls to get everyone's opinion on a burning question you have. :)
- Receive email notification of replies to discussions - no need to check back everyday to see if anyone answered your question!
- Set up a 'buddy-list' to quickly see which of your friends are currently online
- Have a signature auto-magically added to your posts.
- A webpage link on all your posts - show the world your homepage!
To register, you will need to specify a nickname, password, and a valid email address. Entering your email address will not leave you open to 'spam', as your email address stays hidden, and messages sent to you via email do not reveal your address to the sender in any case.
After you have registered, you may alter your cookie options at any time by changing the settings on this page.
| How do I clear my cookies?
You may clear all your cookies by clicking here. If you return to the main index page via the link provided and you are still logged in, you may have to remove your cookies manually.
Here are the instructions for Internet Explorer 5 on Windows:
- Close all Internet Explorer windows.
- Click the "Start" button.
- Move upto "Find" and click "Files or Folders" from the menu that appears.
- In the new window that appears, in the "containing text" field, type in the domain name of the board without the "http://" or "www." part. For example, if the board's address was "http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php", I would type in "vbulletin.com" (without the quotes)
- In the "look in" box, type in "C:\Windows\Cookies\" (without the quotes) and press "Find Now"
- After it has finished searching, highlight all files (click a file, then press CRTL+A) and delete them (press the "delete" key or SHIFT+DEL)
Your cookies should now be removed. You may want to restart the computer and revisit the board to be sure.
If you're still having problems, email one of the support slaves here.
How can I change the information in my profile?
[edit your profile]
Edit your profile by clicking on "My Settings" located at the bottom of all pages.
What are the buddy and ignore lists?
[edit buddy list]
[edit ignore list]
The buddy list is used to keep track of the friends you have made on the Bowl. By going to your "MyBowl", you'll be able to see which of your friends are currently online, and be able to send them a private message. Adding people to your buddy list also allow you to send private messages to multiple Buddies at the same time. You may add any member of the Bowl to your Buddy List by clicking the button in a member's posts.
Ignore lists are used for those people who's messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, the messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.
| What Are Moderators?
Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.
| What happens to users that are inactive for too long?
Inactive users are regularly pruned to make the "number of members" calculation more representative of the actual activity in the Bowl.
Users are deleted under the following conditions:
- 33 days without activating their account (i.e. clicking the link in the confirmation email)
- 66 days have passed since becoming a member, and no posts have been made
- 188 days since last visit & number of posts is under 22
- 388 days since last visit (no matter how many posts)