It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > I Just Bought My First DVD!

I Just Bought My First DVD!

Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   2 3 4 5   6    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 6
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
brash  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Jan 12, 2002  6:50 PM 76

Originally posted by Chuck
Maybe I should clarify "top shelf" -- by that I mean out of the reach of the kids , in other words, any film with Ron Jeremy

Next Point

Criterions
=======

Granted these are some of the best done DVD's, however the vast majority of films are those the above people would deam "art".

Maybe the number of Criterions one own's is a good measure of what side of the fence they are on. Actually the Production year of the DVD's in conjuction with the number of them.

If you own 2 or more Criterions with production years prior to 1985, you are an "art" lover

If you own any amount of Criterions with production year after 1985, you are one who likes to just sit back, relax and let the mind wonder for 90 minutes.

FYI -- Post 1985 Movies would include:
The Rock
Armageedon
Robocop
Rushmore
Silence of the Lambs
Chasing Amy
Brazil

And if you're both?

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
CigarsAndPars  
Growin' Gills!
Add CigarsAndPars to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from CigarsAndPars
Send a Private Message to CigarsAndPars!Visit CigarsAndPars's homepage!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in a pond
Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Addiction Index™: 774
Jan 12, 2002  9:24 PM 77

If you own 2 or more Criterions with production years prior to 1985, you are an "art" lover

Hey, that's a little harsh, isn't it? For example, "This Is Spinal Tap" was released in 1984 and "Good Long Friday" was released in 1980 and they are not artsy-fartsy, are they? How about this: "If you own 2 or more Criterions which have mono soundtracks only, you are a geek an "art" lover." This would put me safely in the cool non-art lover category (crossing fingers that "That Obscure Object Of Desire" (1977) will never be sold for $25 or less). Here is the list of my Criterions:

Armageddon
Brazil
Chasing Amy
Long Good Friday
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Robocop
Silence of the Lambs
This is Spinal Tap
Walkabout

The oldest movie on the list was made in 1971, which is perfectly acceptable, plus I own the Disney versions of "The Rock" and "Rushmore", just didn't feel like paying big money for the upgrade, although I would like to have the anamorphic transfers.

Yep, I'm cool...

Sonja: Sex without love is an empty experience.
Boris: Yes, but as far as empty experiences go, it's one of the best.

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Jan 13, 2002  2:29 AM 78 Toys You'll Love Under $15 at Chapters!

Originally posted by Astrakan
Originally posted by konfusion666
As for foreign films, has anyone seen "F*cking Amal" yet? "Shocking" Swedish film about teenagers again. Oh yeah, the * = u.

Have it on DVD. While I wouldn't characterize it as a great film, I certainly enjoyed it quite a bit and it deserves an honourable mention for its frankness and honesty.

KM

Would this be a "Top shelf" DVD ?

Not at all. It's basically about young people finding their identity. As I said, I don't find it to be a great film, but certainly worth checking out just for its very frank and honest portrayal of youth.

It's on #243 on the IMDb top 250 list. Click here to view the IMDb listing.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Jan 13, 2002  2:37 AM 79

Originally posted by vangleason
I'm certainly curious about others' "positioning" of titles on their shelves (if only to deride or compliment them).

I do simple, straight-forward alphabetizing. Boring? Yes, but makes things easier to find. There's a pretty interesting/amusing thread on alt.video.dvd discussing how people organize their collections. I've linked to it in the past, but here it is again.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Jan 13, 2002  2:29 PM 83

Finally got around to watching Citizen Kane last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I am certain that years of study and imitation by other filmmakers make it difficult to appreciate just how original it was when it was first released.

My 3 month old daughter also appeared to enjoy it... she was watching the screen intently for a good 10-15 minutes at a time without making a sound ...

brash  

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Jan 13, 2002  2:32 PM 84

With respect to your comment about Criterions, I don't think your generalization really hits the nail on the head. Prior to 1985 Criterion titles include the likes of "The Blob" and "Fiend Without a Face". While there are some who might classify these B-horror titles as art, they, like the tons of Criterion titles which are good, old fashioned entertainments ("My Man Godfrey", "Sullivan's Travels", etc.) are exactly the kinds of films that one would more than likely "sit back, relax and let the mind wander for 90 minutes".

I forsee a whole new theory of psycho-analysis based on the Criterion Collection DVDs a person owns.

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Jan 13, 2002  2:57 PM 85

No, I don't think that's boring at all. Makes a lot of sense. My four basic categories/shelves are pretty simple, though (and, of course are alphabetized). Thanks for the link. Most amusing and illuminating.

I have an urge to categorize them by genre, and alphabetize within genre of course, but I think it'd be too hard. There's too many films out there that either fit equally well into more than one genre, or for which some obscure sub-genre would have to be created. Take Fight Club for example, what is it? Drama? Action? Comedy? It has a little bit of all of the above in it, IMHO, so I wouldn't know where to catalogue it. I could always decide to always go with what IMDb, or some other semi-official source, has to say, but that'd still confuse me when I was trying to find a film.

Despite all these hurdles, I am still intrigued by the idea of "genreizing" my collection. It'd be nice to be able to walk over to the comedy section when I'm in the mood for laughs, or the action section when I want to give my surround sound system a workout, etc.

Decisions, decisions...

KM

Chuck  
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Jan 13, 2002  7:16 PM 86

Genre does pose to many problems IMHO. Where do you put films classified as "Action/Comedy" or "Sci-Fi/Thriller". Like you said, even if you do classify them all, when it comes time to find a DVD you want, you will end up confused at times as to what catagory a film should be under. Alphebetical is the most efficient way. If you want to go with astetics, organize by the studio that released it.

www.kittyfantastico.com
brash  

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Jan 14, 2002  8:03 AM 88

I keep my categorizing/genres simple. One shelf for Criterion, one shelf for sci-fi/horror/fantasy. one shelf for animation and several shelves for eveything else.

My arrangement is similar. Two shelves for Criterion, one for horror, one for Anime & animation, and then everything else.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   2 3 4 5   6    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 6
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > I Just Bought My First DVD!   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
3:55 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)