It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > HDDVD vs BLURAY

HDDVD vs BLURAY

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
Vidgal  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Vidgal to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Vidgal
Send a Private Message to Vidgal!

Committed in May 2002
I'm in describable
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 400
May 05, 2007  6:54 AM 1

I need help! What is the difference between these 2 formats? I am soooooooo not technical so please put it in easy to understand terms. I get that they both have better picture/sound quality but why 2 formats? Is one really superior?

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
sdifox  
Growin' Gills!
Add sdifox to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from sdifox
Send a Private Message to sdifox!Visit sdifox's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 600
May 05, 2007  5:43 PM 2

Format war, nothing new. Just wait it out.

P.S. I just grab OTA HD movies. Currently about 2TB worth.

Optoma HD6800, 92" Greywolf II, Marantz AV9000 Outlaw 750, Def Tech BP-2000TL, BP-10B, LCR2000, Panasonic RP-82S, Pioneer DV-505, JVC 3-CD/ MD Deck, Technic 60 CD Changer, 1200+DVDs, 60 DVD-Audio Edited by sdifox on
May 06, 2007 at 9:53 PM

DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
May 05, 2007  7:04 PM 3

Chapters: Save On The Deal of the Week!

I went with HD-DVD since I already have a Xbox 360. The HD-DVD add on cost me about another $200.

Sony PS3 is generally the cheapest way to get Blu Ray....pricey at $700 or so....especially if you don't play PS3 video games.

As Sdifox has suggested, if you can wait it out, wait for the one left standing.....a decision should be made within the next year or two is my best guess.

If you want better than standard def (480i or 480p) quality, you might want to consider an upconverting DVD player. This unit upconvert standard DVDs to near HD quality (720p or 1080i rezs). Upconversion is typically via HDMI....so you will need a HDTV-ready TV with HDMI or DVI.

I have a discontinued upconverting DVD player (LG 7832 otherwise known as the Zenith 318) that upconverts via component video or DVI....but these were popular a few years ago and are hard to find these days.....these are great if one has a HDTV-ready TV that only has component video.

Dave

Edited by DavidY on
May 05, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > HDDVD vs BLURAY   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
11:54 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)