It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
gilsan  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add gilsan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from gilsan
Send a Private Message to gilsan!Visit gilsan's homepage!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Bridgewater NS

Addiction Index™: 1440
May 20, 2005  7:53 AM 1

Originally posted by bookhead
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: Best of the Prequels!

I loved Episode 2, but Episode 3 is even better! (Episode 1 sucked, of course.) The series comes full circle and thus ends at the beginning of Episode IV: A New Hope - so it's not exactly a happy story (unless you're a Sith supporter). I enjoyed the overlapping storylines and the integral (and awesome) action sequences. I felt very satisfied with the resolutions of the story threads - everything was logically and emotionally true to the spirit of Star Wars. The acting was plenty good enough to get the job done. You can tell that Lucas has sought and applied feedback from his earlier work on the saga - this is a tautly paced thriller of a space opera!

5 out of 5.

I agree Lucas did a good job of bringing the 2 trilogies together. It was by far the best of the new trilogy. The acting and the CGI were better than in the previous 2. Although the story ends on a low note it ends setting up for a New Hope and does it well. I highly recommend this movie.

snugabugblankets.etsy.com Edited by a Juju Slave on
May 25, 2005 at 1:19 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
str8jkt  
Growin' Gills!
Add str8jkt to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from str8jkt
Send a Private Message to str8jkt!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Calgary

Addiction Index™: 816
May 24, 2005  9:32 AM 2

New & Hot Teen Books at Chapters!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS??

Great on action, but again it seemed lacking in storyline to me. It just seemed like it was too easy to bring Anakin to the dark side. Or maybe not too easy, maybe he just flopped too quickly. Went from being a jedi quoting the jedi way to 30 seconds later pledging allegiance to the Sith..

And to me, I think the last scene of the movie before rolling the credits should have been when Vaders mask snapped into place and the first couple famous breaths happened from behind the mask. That would have left a much more dramatic finish to the movie imho.

Look out!! The men in the white suits are after me again!
chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju
Add chdude3 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chdude3
Send a Private Message to chdude3!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
Addiction Index™: 4045
May 24, 2005  4:07 PM 3

Originally posted by str8jkt
POSSIBLE SPOILERS??

Great on action, but again it seemed lacking in storyline to me.

I think most people would agree with you. There was a lot of eye candy, and it was still an enjoyable movie, but the script was so bad you could see the poor actors struggling to deliver some of the awful lines - poor Portman really got the short end of the stick in this one.

Originally posted by str8jkt It just seemed like it was too easy to bring Anakin to the dark side.

I particularly agree with you there, as well. The motivation was lacking. I really didn't see a serious internal struggle; I think most of the blame there would fall on Lucas' direction.

Originally posted by str8jkt That would have left a much more dramatic finish to the movie imho.

Rather than the scmaltz that Lucas stuck in? Once again, agreed, and once again Lucas gave poor direction for that particular scene.

Overall, the movie is enjoyable, and it's better than the first two - but that's not necessarily saying much. Lucas definitely did not get his groove back.

Wanting what I've got. Life is good!
mbg  
Add mbg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from mbg
Send a Private Message to mbg!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Thunder Bay
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 1612
May 24, 2005  6:45 PM 4

I liked the movie, but some comments...

1. I wish Lucas would work with a co-writer. There are some types of scenes that he just can't write! If he didn't have so much control of the whole show, there's no way this type of dialog would pass inspection.

2. A lot of scenes (particularly action scenes) seemed way too detailed. There was too much going on surrounding the main action! For the movie in general, it needed an observation of "less is more"

3. Darth Vader breaking loose like frankenstein was a bit over the top. It looked like something out of Doctor Who.

4. Anakin had an American (Canadian?) accent, yet Darth Vader has an English accent. How did this happen?

chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju
Add chdude3 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chdude3
Send a Private Message to chdude3!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
Addiction Index™: 4045
May 24, 2005  8:12 PM 5

Originally posted by mbg
1. I wish Lucas would work with a co-writer. There are some types of scenes that he just can't write! If he didn't have so much control of the whole show, there's no way this type of dialog would pass inspection.

Yes, that seems to be a common complaint. The story Lucas can come up with, but his dialogue (screenplay) has some serious shortcomings. I think the most obvious examples are the 'love scenes' between Anakin and Padmé.

Originally posted by mbg
3. Darth Vader breaking loose like frankenstein was a bit over the top. It looked like something out of Doctor Who.

I think that's what str8jkt was alluding to in his post (and what I assumed, when replying to him). I don't know if it was Christensen's acting or Lucas' direction, but that scene *could* have been better, even scripted the way it was. Just another example of where Christensen's lack of experience showed, having to struggle with very little to work with.

Originally posted by mbg
4. Anakin had an American (Canadian?) accent, yet Darth Vader has an English accent. How did this happen?

Hrm, maybe it's been too long since I've seen the orgiinal trilogy? I thought Vader was always a stylized manner of speech, but not necessarily a British accent (I could be wrong, I should watch those movies again! ). The manner of Anakin's near demise might be able to explain the deepened timbre, but not a change in accent. I think that McGregor (easily one of the better actors in the film) did quite well capturing Guinness' manner of speech.

Wanting what I've got. Life is good!
Rustling Leaf  
Extra Buttery
Add Rustling Leaf to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Rustling Leaf
Send a Private Message to Rustling Leaf!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the microwave

Addiction Index™: 2395
May 24, 2005  11:48 PM 6

I liked the movie, and was satisfied with how the story was told. Some points:

I've listened to the e-book, which goes into more detail and is slightly different than the movie. In particular, there is a point during the final fight where Anakin reveals to Obi-Wan that he blames the Jedi for holding him back to the point that it prevented him from being there to save his mother. This to me seems like very powerful motivation for him to turn against the Jedi, but it was left out of the movie. Oh well.

Also, have you guys watched the DVD extra where we get to hear David Prowse's voice? It's hilarious. Thank goodness J.E. Jones re-did his voice cos Vader could not have been a badass with Prowse's effeminate, British voice.

Oh, I sound like such a geek....

Edited by Rustling Leaf on
May 24, 2005 at 11:50 PM

mbg  
Add mbg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from mbg
Send a Private Message to mbg!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Thunder Bay
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 1612
May 25, 2005  7:27 AM 7

Originally posted by chdude3
I think that's what str8jkt was alluding to in his post (and what I assumed, when replying to him). I don't know if it was Christensen's acting or Lucas' direction, but that scene *could* have been better, even scripted the way it was. Just another example of where Christensen's lack of experience showed, having to struggle with very little to work with.

I think he was talking about the masking ceremony. I was talking about the part where they wheeled him up on a dolly and he kind of broke free and jolted forward like he was on stilts.

Hrm, maybe it's been too long since I've seen the orgiinal trilogy? I thought Vader was always a stylized manner of speech, but not necessarily a British accent (I could be wrong, I should watch those movies again! ). The manner of Anakin's near demise might be able to explain the deepened timbre, but not a change in accent. I think that McGregor (easily one of the better actors in the film) did quite well capturing Guinness' manner of speech.

Don't go as far as the original trilogy, then. Right there in ep. III, Vader's accent is different than Anakin's. It's not just a timbre change, he sounds nothing like Anakin at all! He doesn't even have the same inflections as Anakin

I agree that Ewan McGregor did a good job of trying to sound like Alec Guinness.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:07 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)