It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > What Are Your All-Time Favorite RPG's?

What Are Your All-Time Favorite RPG's?

Go to FIRST page   1   2  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 2
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
sweetbabysam  
I've converted to jujuism.
Add sweetbabysam to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from sweetbabysam
Send a Private Message to sweetbabysam!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in terpreting the language of love.

Addiction Index™: 3966
Apr 18, 2003  3:10 PM 1

Hey guys! I've been doing alot of eBaying lately-- picking up the odd game here and there and was wondering what your picks are for fav rpg's. Have had a couple of bad buying experiences thrown in but hey, that's a whole other thread!

I'm interested in games for PSOne, PS2 and SNES platforms, but I'm curious to hear what your choices are regardless.

The Final Fantasy series got me started and reeled right in to rpg's and I still give kudoos to them today-- they just keep getting better and better.

Am currently playing Dark Cloud2 on PS2 and have to say that I am quite impressed-- quite the bang for my buck, alot of playtime vs. traditional rpg's.

Really looking forward to your input!

Thanks,
~sam~

Here in the reel world, beauty is only fin deep.
~Sammy~
Edited by sweetbabysam on
Apr 18, 2003 at 4:19 PM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Cyanne  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Cyanne to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Cyanne
Send a Private Message to Cyanne!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in my happy place
Montreal
Addiction Index™: 542
Apr 18, 2003  3:55 PM 2

It's been a while, but...

I first got hooked on the Dragon Warrior series for NES. III and IV were truly excellent. On the SNES, I remember enjoying Lufia 2. It incorporated all these puzzles, which I enjoyed. On playstation, of course I played Final Fantasy along with everyone else. I haven't touched it in a few years though. Honestly, though I am impressed by all the technological advancements in the various consoles, as far as RPGs are concerned, I tend to think the advancements a bit overrated. The RPG was always about the story and the puzzles to me, and I don't really enjoy sitting back and watching movies for half an hour as part of the game-playing experience, no matter how pretty they are. If I want that, I'll watch television. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate great graphics, but there has to be something else, and they shouldn't overwhelm the rest of the game. That said, I freely admit I'm out of the loop at this point.

sweetbabysam  
Add sweetbabysam to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from sweetbabysam

Committed in May 2001

Apr 18, 2003  4:10 PM 3 Dell.ca: Great deals on Windows PCs!

Originally posted by Cyanne
The RPG was always about the story and the puzzles to me, and I don't really enjoy sitting back and watching movies for half an hour as part of the game-playing experience, no matter how pretty they are. If I want that, I'll watch television. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate great graphics, but there has to be something else, and they shouldn't overwhelm the rest of the game.

Thanks for your input Cyanne!

I couldn't agree more with your above statement... "cutscenes" are one thing and if kept to a minimum offer an enjoyable peek at the story line progression. "Cinema Scenes" seem to be the norm now and I also feel that thay are not such a desirable addition-- they have encumbered rather than enhanced the game play.

So is Lufia2 your all-time favorite? I'm not familiar with that one at all.

~Sammy~

Real Boba Fett  
Recently Committed Human
Add Real Boba Fett to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Real Boba Fett
Send a Private Message to Real Boba Fett!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Longueuil, QC

Addiction Index™: 37
Apr 18, 2003  4:47 PM 4

Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan) is the best RPG IMO!

I also liked Breath of Fire (also on the SNES).

On the PC, Septerra Core wasn't bad.

Cyanne  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Cyanne to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Cyanne
Send a Private Message to Cyanne!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in my happy place
Montreal
Addiction Index™: 542
Apr 18, 2003  4:50 PM 5

Originally posted by sweetbabysam
So is Lufia2 your all-time favorite? I'm not familiar with that one at all.

Ack! I have to pick an all-time favorite now?I don't think I can do that, it wouldn't be fair. The Dragon Warriors would have a sentimental edge because they were my first. It's been too long and my memory's too fuzzy to pick a favorite. Suffice it to say they're all excellent games, good enough to stick out in my memory (no small feat!). Actually... now you've really got me thinking. ChronoTrigger was fantastic too, a definite contender. It was an SNES game I think? Which reminds me, there was another game made for Playstation-Chronocross-that my brother told me was excellent, but I've never played it myself. So that's a sort-of recommendation.

sweetbabysam  

Committed in May 2001

Apr 18, 2003  4:51 PM 6

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett
Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan) is the best RPG IMO!

Hmmm, that's only on the Snes console, right? My first and by far my favorite is FF7-- I'll be trying 6, can't see how it can compare though since 7 would have been more advanced. Is 6 closer to the Tactics type of FF genre?

~Sammy~

sweetbabysam  

Committed in May 2001

Apr 18, 2003  4:54 PM 7

Originally posted by Cyanne
ChronoTrigger was fantastic too, a definite contender. It was an SNES game I think? Which reminds me, there was another game made for Playstation-Chronocross-that my brother told me was excellent, but I've never played it myself. So that's a sort-of recommendation.

Yep, now you gotta pick!!

Cronotrigger is on the PS platform as well-- I'm currently bidding on it. Cronocross I've just picked up from eBay but haven't played yet (still at the end of Dark Cloud2). Good to hear your reviews.... glad I spent my money well.

~Sammy~

smegger2000  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add smegger2000 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from smegger2000
Send a Private Message to smegger2000!

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 67
Apr 18, 2003  5:21 PM 8

Phantasy Star - Sega Master System
Shining Force - Sega Genesis
Phantasy Star 2&4 - Sega Genesis
Lunar- Sega CD (Long before it appeared on PS1)
Panzer Dragoon Saga-Sega Saturn(masterpiece)

As you can tell I'm a SEGA lover.

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Apr 18, 2003  5:26 PM 9

Ummmmmm.

Not sure this qualifies since it's a PC platform game but errr, I've always had a thing for the old Leisure Suit Larry series

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more...
othdawg  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg
Send a Private Message to othdawg!Visit othdawg's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Addiction Index™: 1745
Apr 18, 2003  9:48 PM 10

Also on PC, Fallout 1 + 2 were excellent! Post-apocalyptic RPG'ing, really kept me occupied for quite a long time!

Fallout2 can probably be found in the bargain bin at most software places too, well worth a look!

Rustling Leaf  
Extra Buttery
Add Rustling Leaf to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Rustling Leaf
Send a Private Message to Rustling Leaf!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the microwave

Addiction Index™: 2395
Apr 19, 2003  1:22 AM 11

You could give XenoGears a try. Excellent story, very anime-like, but bad gameplay, very tedious. There's also Xenosaga for the PS2, but I've never played it and Amazon.com says it has "Long, long, looooooooong cut scenes." Brave Fencer Musashi has a wacky sense of humour, which I like.

You probably already know that Final Fantasy Anthology includes FF V and FF VI, that Final Fantasy Chronicles includes FF IV and Chrono Trigger, and that Final Fantasy Origins includes FF and FF II.

Didn't like Wild Arms 2 or Legend Of Mana.

My all time favourite RPG is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but that's on the N64. FF VII is a very close 2nd. Didn't like FF VIII.

Dave.
BTW, should this thread be in this forum?

Edited by Rustling Leaf on
Apr 19, 2003 at 1:34 AM

GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Apr 19, 2003  3:44 AM 12

Originally posted by sweetbabysam

I'm interested in games for PSOne, PS2 and SNES platforms, but I'm curious to hear what your choices are regardless.

The Final Fantasy series got me started and reeled right in to rpg's and I still give kudoos to them today-- they just keep getting better and better.

Am currently playing Dark Cloud2 on PS2 and have to say that I am quite impressed-- quite the bang for my buck, alot of playtime vs. traditional rpg's.

Sammy, is that really you?!? I never imagined you play games of this type, never mind know what "RPG" stands for! Wow.

My first RPG was good ol' Ultima V on the Apple IIe back in '87. I knew it was going to be a long game and decided to log my playtime. 196 hours later, I was done. Glad I had more time in those days.

Then came NES:
- Crystalis
- Zelda
(shame I missed out on Dragon Warrior & Shadowrun -- wouldn't have time to play 'em nowadays)

Then the PC -- never had time for consoles after the NES.
Fallout 1 & 2 are my all time favourites -- love the post-apoc/1950's style. Tried FF7 and didn't like it much; hated that combat system and the way encounters just pop up out of nowhere -- though I liked the typically-epic anime story. Right now I'm totally sick of fantasy RPGs -- the magicians / dwarfs / castles bore me to tears.

A few RPGs on my shelf that I'll play "when I find the time":
- Planescape: Torment
- Neverwinter Nights (more interested in making levels than playing it!)
- System Shock 2 (not technically an RPG, but pretty close)
- Deus Ex
- Arcanum

BTW, the "IMDB of games" is called Mobygames, though it's incomplete because it relies on user input of the data. Still the most extensive game database available.

Costa The Slaveboy
hp!  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add hp! to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from hp!
Send a Private Message to hp!!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 317
Apr 19, 2003  11:07 AM 13

Personal Favourite of all is Phantasy Start II for Genesis. It's the first RPG that got me hooked.

You can download the ROM for Genesis games and play it on your computer for free from many websites. So besure to check it out.

Phantasy Star IV was also pretty good. (III kind of sucked)

Shinning series is also quite good, different play style.

For SNES, pretty much anything by SqureSoft (Japan) is good. Especially Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy II & III.

For Playstation, I liked Final Fantasy VII, Crono Cross, and Suidoken (Sp?)

For computer, I liked Baldur's Gate I & II.

I'd have to say, playing RPG is kind of dangerous, cause you could "lose" all your friend that way.

hp

greyhyena  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add greyhyena to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from greyhyena
Send a Private Message to greyhyena!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 59
Apr 19, 2003  10:02 PM 14

Give Suikoden 1, 2 (PS1) and 3 (PS2) a try. After you finish the first Suikoden, you can use your saved game for Suikoden 2 and that save for the third one. Also checkout:

Xenogears (PS1)
Final Fantasy 6 (SNES/PS1)
Final Fantasy 7-9 (PS1)
Final Fantasy 10 (PS2)
Grandia (PS1)
Grandia 2 (Dreamcast/PS2)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Persona (PS1)
Persona 2 (PS1)
Parasite Eve (PS1)
Wild Arms 3 (PS2)

greyhyena

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." Albert Eistein .

Aberfoyle  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Aberfoyle to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Aberfoyle
Send a Private Message to Aberfoyle!

Committed in Apr 2002
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 531
Apr 20, 2003  8:26 AM 15

My fave was "Wizardry" circa 1983.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 2
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > What Are Your All-Time Favorite RPG's?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
2:30 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)