It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > [Region Free Players sold in Canada]

[Region Free Players sold in Canada]

Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 13
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Sep 07, 2002  6:47 PM 1

www.regionfreecanada.da.ru
The best Canadian Region Free site with a Russian URL

Hosted by Goldfishlegs.ca - The best Canadian Deals and Info site

Disclaimer: Read through all the provided hyperlinks and check model numbers yourself in store before buying. Don't just trust some naked guy off the internet. There are so many.

Upgrading your player is legal but it *may* void your warrenty. Generally if you hardware/software upgrade you will void the warrenty. Generally remote/Palm Pilot upgrades will not void the warrenty but make sure of it. Again don't just trust a naked guy.

Improper upgrade could damage your player. Trust and follow all instructions to the letter and keep your receipt. GFL, NakedGord and any posters in this thread absolve any fault arising from improper upgrading (I was browsing DarrenK's page and he has it all over so since he is "the expert" I though it might be good here too.)

All current players should be RCE immune or region adjustable but you never know till you try a unit. Visit here to learn about RCE

What the difference between the same title in different regions? DVDCompare.org.uk is the best site I've found that lists all the different versions of a disc.

List is current being updated. Full details soon however a brief listing includes units with these features:

[b1]Divx[/b1]
[quote]
Best Value:

Philips 642

For sale: Superstore, Zellers, Best Buy, Future Shop
Price: $89.99-$99.99 (refurbs from $60 and sales from $80)
or

LG LDA-530

For sale: Future Shop, Best Buy
Price: $99.99

Portable w/ screen w/ divx: Coming soon

Portable w/o screen w/ divx: Coming soon

Value priced:
Kosch DV-X721

For Sale: Best Buy, Futureshop
Price: $69.99

[b1]DVD Recorders[/b]

DVD Recorder: Lite-on 5005

For sale: Superstore

[b1]Non divx[/b1]

Best value: Coming soon

Value priced: Coming soon

Portable w/ screen: Coming soon

Portable w/o screen: Coming soon

Check out: Videohelp: Region mod search for codes to unlock

Various Magnasonic DVD Players

Magnasonic DVD Players are often Oriton and Koss based Players.
If you have a Magnasonic machine and want to try some of the codes here for each make I'd bet you can get region free.

Oriton Players (try first) and
Koss Players

Prices: Vary between $90ish to $150

Region Free and DVD-Rom drives?
I haven't read up on this like I have for stand alone machines but it can be done and will give you the proper anamorphic conversion like the Malata.

Here's some info from Davros on Nerd-out:
It can be done, but you will have to do some hacking. Find out model number for your DVD-ROM drive ( http://www.rpc1.com/~hijacker/discinfo can help with this) and check http://forum.firmware-flash.com/portal.php to see if there is a RPC-1 (region-free) firmware available for it. If you need to flash the firmware for your drive, follow the directions to the letter or you could kill your drive. After that, you will need to find a region-free hack for your DVD player software. DVD Genie ( http://www.inmatrix.com/genie/ ) works for many of them, but there are a few other solutions out there.

Also http://www.molen.ca/kenneth/dvdrom.html has more info on how to do this.

If you have a RPC1 (8x or below most of the time) it'll be rather easy wth DVDGenie.
If you have a RPC2 (most of the drives) you'll need to flash your firmware . http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php has all the firmware. Remember if you have any quesions on how to do it right do a search on their forum or post a question. If you muck it up you fry your drive.

Region Free Television

O.K. - This has noting to do with DVD players but still thought it applies as I imagine people interested in these machine might find it interesting
World Wide Internet Television has indexed televison stations broadcasting streaming signals from around the world indexed by country.

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more... Edited by NakedGord on
Jun 21, 2005 at 3:37 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Sep 07, 2002  9:12 PM 2

Good idea, Gordo!

Costa The Slaveboy
ChicoFox  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add ChicoFox to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ChicoFox
Send a Private Message to ChicoFox!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Winnipeg
I was adopted by frickin Belgians, eh?
Addiction Index™: 193
Sep 07, 2002  10:22 PM 3

For completeness sake, I suppose the Apex, GE, and Oritron should be mentioned, all of which can be purchased at Walmart.

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Sep 07, 2002  10:41 PM 4

Originally posted by ChicoFox
For completeness sake, I suppose the Apex, GE, and Oritron should be mentioned, all of which can be purchased at Walmart.

Not to mention the ever excellent Malata or the not-so-excellent, but still region-free, Sampo. There's also a fair number of less well-known brands available too. Perhaps not at Wal Mart, but they can be found, in Canada, without too much trouble, just check out your local Chinatown for different brands.

The trick is finding a player that will do on-the-fly PAL->NTSC conversions. Like the Malata, which I have and absolutely love.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
Sep 07, 2002 at 11:08 PM

ChicoFox  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add ChicoFox to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ChicoFox
Send a Private Message to ChicoFox!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Winnipeg
I was adopted by frickin Belgians, eh?
Addiction Index™: 193
Sep 07, 2002  10:46 PM 5

Originally posted by Astrakan
The trick is finding a player that will do on-the-fly PAL->NTSC conversions. Like the Malata.

The Apex will.

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord

Committed in May 2001

Sep 07, 2002  10:57 PM 6

It'll be done Although the Apex is in a bit of disarray in Canada with all the variation of the 1100W @ Wallymart. Read from the expert DarrenK over at nerd-out:

The Apex AD-1100W, like most Apex DVD players, comes in many different versions. Within the United States alone, there seem to be at least 3 different variations. In addition, this model is sold in Britain as the AD-1100WB, in Mexico as the AD-1100WX, and in Australia as the DIGITREX GK-1100! This makes a total of at least 6 different variations worldwide - and there are probably more that we don't know about.

Last I checked one version being sold in N.A, could not be upgraded. This was awhile ago as I'm not in the market right now so if someone wants to check b4 I get a chance to please feel free.

Future Shop has also dropped all Apex including the fool proof 1500 and 3201. The replacement value player Prima has no upgrading info (yet.)

The GE has mutiple problems:

1) to my knowledge Wal-Mart has discontinued ALL GE models. One store in my region has a three disc (only mutiple disc'er sold in Canada which can do region free I beleive) on no box clearance. The others Wal-Marts have all sold theirs on clearance.

2) The GE models are a little tricky:

There is a GE 5803P and now also a GE 5803PB! They look identical on the outside -- they all say "GE5803P" on their respective boxes (except for a small sticker on the side of the box). But there is one crucial difference: the players use different video encoder chips. THUS, THEY CANNOT USE THE SAME FIRMWARE. Using firmware from the 5803PB on the 5803P (or vice-versa) will RUIN the player's firmware chip!

To my knowledge Oritron is no longer sold in Canada; atleast under the Oritron name. I beleive they also own Koss.

I spoke to a staffer about Oritron @ Wally-World and he said that there was SOOOOOOO many returns after the 3 month company warrenty expired that Wal-Mart got burned with that 1 yr warrenty and soon after Oritron disappeared and Apex showed up. On those review sites everybody said Oritron died very quickly. I also remember that the one Wal-Mart Oritron could do region free BUT it did not convert PAL-> NTSC. So you could play R2 NTSC Japanese discs but not R2 British PAL discs.

If you can find any of these for sale in Canada and region upgrading info please post and prove me wrong. The more options the better.

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more...
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Sep 07, 2002  11:04 PM 7

Not to mention the ever excellent Malata or the not-so-excellent, but still region-free, Sampo. There's also a fair number of less well-known brands available too. Perhaps not at Wal Mart, but they can be found, in Canada, without too much trouble, just check out your local Chinatown for different brands.

The trick is finding a player that will do on-the-fly PAL->NTSC conversions. Like the Malata, which I have and absolutely love.

KM

Malta is the apex of region free dvd (o.k. - pun intended). They are the only make that will do PERFECT aspect ratio conversion. But it's threads like this that worry me:

One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread [Part Six]

I beleive they are about $400 U.S. and for that I either want a make with the rep of Panasonic or an extended warrenty like Wal-Mart offers though. They are a damn nice machine though - you should be proud.

If you know of any stores/numbers to call feel free to post. Perhaps I'll pick on up if they have a 1/2 off sale or something.

p.s. do region free dvd rom drive do correct AR conversion? If they do then I might actually have no need for a malta...but they are still kewl.

edit: I see you did via a hyperlink. How was the service from the company? I'll have to check back on a regular basis for a sale.

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more... Edited by NakedGord on
Sep 07, 2002 at 11:05 PM

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Sep 07, 2002  11:07 PM 8

The Apex will.

Me and my Apex would love that but I'm not sure it will. It will convert but not perfectly like malta (or perhaps computers)

Sep 07, 2002 at 11:19 PM

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Sep 07, 2002  11:08 PM 9

The only retail Sampo I could find was the 740U Sharp @ Zellers/HBC.com re-badge that Look 30 pointed out. They have been discontinued.

Sep 07, 2002 at 11:12 PM

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Sep 07, 2002  11:17 PM 10

This past christmas was the ultimate for region free in Canada. Wal-Mart and FS had the Apex 1500. FS still carried the Apex 3201 plus many other Apex models. TSC.ca/Costco had the Electrohome and Zellers had the rebadded Sampo. Gave us plenty of options. Were in a bit of a dry spell now I beleive.

Has anyone been to Costo recently and seen a Electrohome? TSC doesn't carry it anymore and it was a nice unit. You didn't have to cut the remote like the Sampo and looked alot nicer than the 1500.

Wal-Mart also has a Lenoxx-Sound which I belive is upgradeable. If anybody is popping by soon it'd be kewl if you could grab the model #

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Sep 08, 2002  12:16 AM 11

Originally posted by NakedGord
Malta is the apex of region free dvd (o.k. - pun intended). They are the only make that will do PERFECT aspect ratio conversion. But it's threads like this that worry me:

One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread [Part Six] I beleive they are about $400 U.S. and for that I either want a make with the rep of Panasonic or an extended warrenty like Wal-Mart offers though. They are a damn nice machine though - you should be proud.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with mine. I'm always skeptical when I hear of others' problems with their electronics. Too many people treat their stuff like Playskool toys. I'm sure there are lemons in the Malata lineup, like with any other manufacturer, but so far I've seen nothing that suggests it's an inferior brand. That being said, I can certainly see your doubts when it comes to any brand that's not well-known or well respected. The combination of heaps of praise and Malata actually having a Canadian distributor made me risk it, though, and I'm glad I did.

If you know of any stores/numbers to call feel free to post. Perhaps I'll pick on up if they have a 1/2 off sale or something.

The only online places I know of that carry Malata's are avdeals.ca and nbtelectronics.com. I bought mine from avdeals.ca and had a pleasant experience - lightning fast delivery! I have heard that their customer service department leaves much to be desired though. Since I didn't have any issues with my purchase I can't say if these rumours are justified. I think DavidY got one from nbtelectronics.com, perhaps he could post his experiences with them.

Since my purchase I've seen the Malata available for significantly less in downtown Toronto. I don't have any numbers or names of stores handy, but I'll keep it in mind next time I go down.

p.s. do region free dvd rom drive do correct AR conversion? If they do then I might actually have no need for a malta...but they are still kewl.

My Toshiba SD-M1212, which also is region free out of the box, in conjuction with Remote Selector (an excellent program used to set region and output format) did PAL conversion in proper AR just fine. I just got tired of hooking up my computer to the TV every time I wanted to watch a non-R1 DVD, and I felt that leaving it there permanently wasn't as aestetically pleasing as I'd like.

You can have a look at this site for a list of various DVD-ROM drives and their region-free capabilities. Be aware that that list is pretty old, and many/most of those drives would have to be purchased used.

edit: I moved the DVD-ROM list and updated the link above to reflect that.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
Sep 08, 2002 at 3:52 PM

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Sep 08, 2002  1:12 AM 12

My Toshiba SD-M1212, which also is region free out of the box, in conjuction with Remote Selector (an excellent program used to set region and output format) did PAL conversion in proper AR just fine. I just got tired of hooking up my computer to the TV every time I wanted to watch a non-R1 DVD, and I felt that leaving it there permanently wasn't as aestetically pleasing as I'd like.

You can have a look at this site for a list of various DVD-ROM drives and their region-free capabilities. Be aware that that list is pretty old, and many/most of those drives would have to be purchased used.

KM

kewl. Thanks for the link. I actually have a Raite RPC-1 which is region free using another great prog called DVD Genie. Though that out-dated list is exactly what I'm looking for since I don't feel comterable flashing a RPC-2 drives bios and a brand name back-up would be nice (the Raite isn't the best). The Aspect ratio looked right on my Raite but since I've never seen a Malta in action I didn't have a way to compare. My comp is actually set up as the "brain" of my entertainment section so all it's really lacking is the remote...but I've set it up so the comp is right by my fav. part of the couch

Any stores selling the Malta for cheaper would be great for this thread. Thanks!

DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Sep 08, 2002  10:48 AM 13

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with mine. I'm always skeptical when I hear of others' problems with their electronics. Too many people treat their stuff like Playskool toys. I'm sure there are lemons in the Malata lineup, like with any other manufacturer, but so far I've seen nothing that suggests it's an inferior brand. That being said, I can certainly see your doubts when it comes to any brand that's not well-known or well respected. The combination of heaps of praise and Malata actually having a Canadian distributor made me risk it, though, and I'm glad I did.

The only online places I know of that carry Malata's are avdeals.ca and nbtelectronics.com. I bought mine from avdeals.ca and had a pleasant experience - lightning fast delivery! I have heard that their customer service department leaves much to be desired though. Since I didn't have any issues with my purchase I can't say if these rumours are justified. I think DavidY got one from nbtelectronics.com, perhaps he could post his experiences with them.

Since my purchase I've seen the Malata available for significantly less in downtown Toronto. I don't have any numbers or names of stores handy, but I'll keep it in mind next time I go down.

KM

As Astrakan has noted, I bought the Malata N996 from http://www.nbtelectronics.com Excellent customer service from John G. Any questions or concerns (e.g., latest firmware upgrades) were quickly addressed. Was $399 plus GST and FREE shipping within Canada. The new 520 model seems to have lost a couple of features from the N996....so it's worthwhile to do a thorough research before any purchase is made. Still $399 at NBT electronics.

Dave

Edited by DavidY on
Sep 08, 2002 at 10:50 AM

DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Sep 08, 2002  1:37 PM 14 Save Up 90% With Our Deal of the Week at Chapters!

Real Canadian Superstore sells the Technosonic brand on DVD players....$99 and up.

Here's the procedure to "change" it's features:

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewt...ght=technosonic

Dave

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Sep 08, 2002  3:12 PM 15

Originally posted by DavidY
Real Canadian Superstore sells the Technosonic brand on DVD players....$99 and up.

Here's the procedure to "change" it's features:

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewt...ght=technosonic

Dave

Thanks Does Real CDN Super have a webpage? I just did a google image search and nothing came up either for either Technosonic or Technosonic 202.

This *is* exactly the type of player FS should be carrying as the value machine instead of the "Upgrade Unknown" Prima

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 13
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > [Region Free Players sold in Canada]   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
7:16 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)