It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Frame Breaker...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Frame Breaker...

Go to FIRST page   1   2  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 2
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
bookhead  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Apr 30, 2005  6:49 AM 1

Though it definitely has elements of a cool sci-fi story, this movie adaptation is about as clunky as the book it's based on. That's not necessarily all bad, but it does seem an odd choice for the lead summer blockbuster position.

The cool part of the story is that it continues to break it's frame of reference and the audience's along with it. I enjoy that when it's done well - and some parts are both fun and fascinating. But overall, the story dawdles along and isn't helped by a pretty uncharismatic group of actors.

There's some laughs and and some thought provocation, but I'd say the movie pretty much matches the book for over-ratedness...

3 out of 5.

Civilization is a pyramid scheme. -Ronald Wright
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
May 01, 2005  7:59 AM 2

I already wrote a mini-review of this, so I figured I might as well copy/paste the thing into this thread:

We went to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy earlier. I honestly don't know what I think of it. When I try to describe it, words that come to mind are odd, quirky, weird, bizarre...

It's by no means a bad movie, no it's quite fun and pretty well done. It may just be that I haven't read the book and wasn't prepared for the bizarre world that Arthur Dent inhabits, but there was just something about it that didn't quite sit right with me. There's a couple of laugh-out-loud moments, and it's all pretty clever, so I really don't want to turn anyone away from seeing it. No, I'll heartily recommend it. Just be prepared that it's a little bit different.

As for the controversy the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect caused, I don't see what the big deal is. Again, I didn't read the book, but his performance was perfectly fine and I believed him as the character. I realize most people probably thought of him as British when reading the book, but the guy's from another planet, so I think it's perfectly reasonable that he'd speak English with pretty much any accent.

Anyway, Hitchhiker's Guide... is definitely worth seeing, if for no other reason than that it's different than most everything else available in the theaters at the moment.

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
May 03, 2005 at 8:28 PM

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

May 03, 2005  7:09 AM 4

Originally posted by vangleason
nor do I have any idea who the loser cast is

As someone who supposedly watches as many movies as you do, this is more than a little peculiar. Martin Freeman, Zooey Deschanel, Mos Def, Sam Rockwell... these names don't ring a bell to you, oh exhaulted one? What about Alan Rickman and Bill Nighy? No? Surely, even someone with your apparent lack of knowledge (hey, how else can you not have heard of these people?) must have at least heard of John Malkovich?

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

May 03, 2005  11:29 AM 6

Wow. So you don't read credits?

edit: Forgot, you don't watch movies, you walk out on them. Then again, there's also opening credits... so I guess my question still stands.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
May 03, 2005 at 11:37 AM

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

May 03, 2005  1:10 PM 8

I'm really surprised that someone who claims to love movies to the extent you do, would have such contempt for those who make them. Very odd.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
bookhead  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
May 03, 2005  6:49 PM 10

Chapters.Indigo Gift Cards!

Originally posted by Astrakan
Surely, even someone with your apparent lack of knowledge (hey, how else can you not have heard of these people?) must have at least heard of John Malkovich?

KM

I would say something in your defense, Astrakan, but unfortunately I blinked during Malkovich's part...

Civilization is a pyramid scheme. -Ronald Wright
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

May 03, 2005  8:22 PM 11

Originally posted by bookhead
I would say something in your defense, Astrakan, but unfortunately I blinked during Malkovich's part...

Mreh. It's true his part was small, but fairly memorable I think. I loved the effect when he took off his glasses.

KM

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

May 03, 2005  9:10 PM 12

I only have contempt for mediocrity.

Having contempt for mediocrity is one thing. Not even giving people, whose work you're about to at least attempt to enjoy, the respect to even read their names on screen is another.

Originally posted by vangleason Read Pauline Kael sometime. You might learn a few things.

Oh, I'm sure I would. Just as you would learn a few things from Sheryl Eberly and Uta Hagen.

KM

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

May 04, 2005  12:19 PM 14

Where in any post I have made in this thread do I specifically state that I have not bothered to read the names of the loser actors on screen?

That is how I interpreted this post:

Originally posted by Astrakan
Wow. So you don't read credits?

edit: Forgot, you don't watch movies, you walk out on them. Then again, there's also opening credits... so I guess my question still stands.

KM

Well, this pretty much says it all.

Since you said my post "says it all" I interpreted that to mean "you are correct."

So, since you do read credits after all, I still can't fathom how you've never heard of these people. I'm not saying they're very famous, most people would never have heard of them, but with the number of movies you supposedly watch, it's really bizarre that you're ignorant about the existance of these actors.

KM

A Juju Slave  

Committed in
I'm in

Addiction Index™:
May 04, 2005   15

Please take the discussion of (not) watching film credits, (loser) actors, and anything else not directly related to discussing the Hitchhiker's movie either into Private Messages or another thread.

-A Juju Slave/Moderator

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 2
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Frame Breaker...   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
3:51 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)