It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Does anyone want to explain the tv stuff to me?

Does anyone want to explain the tv stuff to me?

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
wired  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Addiction Index™: -
Jun 28, 2005  7:03 PM 1

ok so lets say you have about a grand to spend and you are looking at the tv things out there
i dont pretend to know anything about em and need to know whats what lol
widescreen tv
flatscreen tv
LCD tv
digital widescreen
wide screen flat screen HDTV
wide screen HDTV

ok well you can see my confusion lol
what does it all mean
and if my home is fairly small what should i reasonably be thinking of looking seriously at

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Corellon  
Recently Committed Human
Add Corellon to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Corellon
Send a Private Message to Corellon!

Committed in Jun 2005
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 14
Jun 28, 2005  11:22 PM 2

Greetings, While I won't pretend to know everything as well, I've been doing my research for my next set so will just pass it on:

Definition on Definitons:

SD or Standard Definition: Regular interlaced system
EDTV or Enchanced Definition: Capable of 420p (Sometimes 520p) and I belive 720i
HDTV or High Definition: Capable of 720p and 1020i (Some high end claim 1020p as well)

i = Interlaced, Screen is drawn even numbered lines one pass of the gun, and odd numbered the next pass, in reality two images are being drawn and your brain merges them into a full non-lined image

p = Progressive scan, the screen is drawn all in one pass, the resualt is a sharper image and a more fluid picture in high-speed shots (in interlaced, lines might appear jagged because of the two stage draw)

420,720,1020 - The number of lines in the image, the more the better... The more lines there are the crisper the image is and the more detail that is possiable.

Display types:

CRT:

The standard TV, A tube shoots the image onto the screen

LCD:

one of the "Flat screen" TV's, A layer of liquid crystal is squished between 2 panels and eletrical current turns them on or off, not to prone to "Burn in" (Will discribe later) and usually a better picture then CRT. Downfalls include Cost (Though coming down in cost), Responce time (Typically LCD's have a limitation on how fast they can turn on and off the crystals, some models (or people with sensitive eyes) show "ghosts" of images that are moving fast and/or a line scrolling down the screen seperating 2 fast moving areas (It's more a line where the image is slightly jagged), unable to process dark shots very well, instead will usually look slightly colored with slightly different shades of black possiably appearing different colors, and some people complain that images are blocky, due to the nature of it being drawn in squares, and unlike CRT's there isn't a "blending" effect between 2 pixels to blend the color

Plasma:

The other "Flatscreen", Colors are brillant and sharp, blacks are generally "true" and a high quality picture overall, cons include: Cost (Generally very much a "Upper range" set) and lifespan (While far more reliable then first gen sets which were known to die withen a year sometimes, current sets still have issues with the main lamp burning out prematurely sometimes, and often this is not included in the warrenty, along with the bulb sometimes being fairly expensive and difficault to replace (Depends on manafaturer, model, etc)

CRT Projection or Rear Projection:

The Big, 200lb+ Box sets, 3 "guns" (Red, Blue, Green) shoot the picture from behind onto the screen, generally the cheapest "Big Screen" TV now, on a good set the Image is decent. Cons: Weight (I speak from personal experiance, trying to get one of these up the stairs or down is a nightmare), Convergance (Because there are 3 guns, they have to be "Converged" into alignment, a realitively simple though time consuming (if you want the best picture) process, but expect to do it often as they wonder outta alignment on thier own), Suffers from "Burn in" (Burn in is when a static image or one that only changes in some areas, is displayed on the screen for a long time or very frequently, one gun will be worked more then the others and eventually get dimmer first, ruining the picture for all stations (Think 24h news station, the red bars will natually cause the red gun to go first if left on long enough) or the image might actually "Burn" into the screen itself, causing the appearance of "Ghosts" even when the screen is off or on a different station)

DLP Projection:

Similar to a CRT in that it shines the image from behind onto the screen, except instead of using 3 guns, it uses a single white bulb to project light onto a tiny microchip, on the top of the chip are a series of small mirrors that either reflect the light harmlessly away, or onto a color "fly wheel", the wheel is just a circular disk that contains Red Green and Blue Glass or plastics, when the light passes though it's colored to appear on the screen, the chip is in sync with the speed of the wheel to ensure the light is only passing though the wheel at the correct time for the correct area of screen, Cons: Cost (More expensive the CRT, but cheaper then LCD (Usually) and plasma), Because it's really shooting 3 seperated colored images onto the screen really quickly it's up to the brain to combine them into the true image, some people with senstive eyes complain of seperation, mosty on whites (Where they see rainbow effect (I do on some low grade DLP's)) or get frequent headaches from the effect. Bulb has been known to need replacing but is generally cheaper then plasma and user replacable, however there have been tales of faulty chips with the hindged mirror becoming fixed, a costly problem to fix(Though rare)Pros not mentioned above: Light (Usually only 50lbs or less), fairly good image quality (Some say plasma is better, others DLP/LCD) in my personal opinion I like it better then plasma (Unless it's a high grade plasma (But then it's a cost vs cost issue) and LCD Projections I've never liked the quality of (I suffer from the formentioned sensitive eyes) and are thinner then standard CRT's but still wider then a LCD or Plasma. Also gives the promise of no "Burn in", How true it is I can't say from personal experiance but I haven't heard different

LCD Projection:
Usually the same size of DLP, though a tiny bit more expensive, instead of using a mirror and fly wheel, these screens use a tiny transparent LCD screen in front of a white light, the light passes though the LCD and then enlarges on the way to the screen, Cons mostly include those mentioned in the other LCD (Just a note, while thin, these are not "Flat", they are still the size of a DLP TV), some notice the blockyness and bad handling of black/grey more because of the larger screen size, others Prefer this to DLP, also rumored to still suffer from "burn in" though again can't speak from personal experiance, though in this case there are supposed cases out there and warnings

Hope this offers some light on the matter, For the most part it's a matter of personal preferences and cost, myself I favor the DLP's over the LCD's and most plasma's but if cost wasn't a object I would get a high end plasma, others pefer the LCD's, It depends on your viewing preferences and your own eyes, mine I find are simply more sensitive to the LCD.

HDTV is alot better the EDTV but you will still notice a difference between EDTV and SD with the proper source.

DLP/Plasma/LCD typically (most of the time, though not always) also have a connector for use as a computer monitor, while not everyone uses it, sometime's it's great just to have, nothing beats playing a good game on a 65' screen

Edit: Noticed your question at the end so will answer:

For about a grand, either find a nice good conventional CTR (32' or so) or a CRT Projection (Proabably around 40' for that much), but given the rate things are changing, you can usually find a good DLP or LCD (40') for just a tad more (I've seen around 1200-1400) so might be worth the time to save or look for that deal.

My personal opinion is that widescreen is wasted on anything lower then 32' and even on a 32' things just seem "odd" to me, remember that TV's are measured from corner to corner, so a wider picture relates to a shorted picture for the same size, I find the 32' looks a little squished and you only get the height of a 24-27' TV, a 40-44' is alot more suited in my opinion (but again that's me, everyone is different)

In a small house a projection might just be too big, a LCD or conventional CRT is better suited, LCD if suits you, but the cost per inch ratio is rather high, or CRT.... if you go CRT look for the "Flatscreen" CRT, A rather confusing term since they are NOT flat like a LCD, they are still in general a 3d Cube, but the screen itself is flat, where as most CRT's the screen is actually slightly curved. Just be carefull if you go with the flat, because some cheaper companies (like the one I got cheap to use as a gaming TV) have issues with it cutting off parts of the picture because the gun isn't properly focused or made and still would fit a curved screen better (Reason why it's cheap i would guess is that it's using a standard gun). In my case I lose a small portion of the top and bottom (Beyond what is normally "Lost" (most CRT's actually overshoot the picture, where it's just black borders so the image is clear and proper), not noticable unless I'm playing something like a RPG where some of the stats like HP might get missed or a time counter at the top

Edited by Corellon on
Jun 28, 2005 at 11:36 PM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Does anyone want to explain the tv stuff to me?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
3:43 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)