It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Cineplex buying out Famous Players

Cineplex buying out Famous Players

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
chouette  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
• I'm Brand-Spanking New! •
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add chouette to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chouette
Send a Private Message to chouette!

Committed in Nov 2005
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1
Nov 06, 2005  12:15 AM 1

Hi all...my first post and I'm really hoping it's not inappropriate!

I was just wondering if anyone else was aware of the fact that Cineplex Odeon has bought out Famous Players. I don't go out to movies often, so I may be way behind on this news, but dbf and I were thinking of going to a show today and he noticed that Cineplex theatres were being listed on the Famous Players site.

The thing that really bothers me about all of this is that Famous Players was doing a long-term promotion where all movies would cost under $10, regardless of time of day, or day of week. Now that Cineplex has taken over, the price of movies is back to over $12. I'm just wondering about others' thoughts on this. Before the takeover, Famous was gaining better profits than Cineplex, with fewer screens across Canada...so it doesn't seem logical that they would have needed to sell.

Anyone else find this all a bit strange? To find out more, go to http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/na...lex-050613.html

I personally feel that the Commissioner of Competition has basically handed over a huge monopoly to Cineplex and that we the public will be the ones to bear the consequences.

Chouette

Edited by chouette on
Nov 06, 2005 at 12:21 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Nov 07, 2005  3:33 PM 2

Originally posted by chouette
I personally feel that the Commissioner of Competition has basically handed over a huge monopoly to Cineplex and that we the public will be the ones to bear the consequences.

Chouette

They did the same thing with Chapters/Indigo/Coles and the Future Shop/Best Buy buyouts. I wouldn't mind it so much if the competition bureau required all the divisions to adopt the same name so everybody would know there was no retail competition however since they don't it just feels scammy.

As for the movie chains it's interesting b/c for FS/BB and Chapters etc at least there are online alternatives to both so a sense of competition does still exist however for first fun movies there is no (legal) online alternative yet.

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more...
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Cineplex buying out Famous Players   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
7:37 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)