It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > The Jacket: A Mysterious Romance!

The Jacket: A Mysterious Romance!

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
bookhead  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Mar 04, 2005  9:59 PM 1

Potential plot spoilers below...

I have seen The Jacket (...and the "drawer"... and Keira Knightley topless(!)) and it was a very pleasant surprise! Some of the local reviews I'd read were pretty discouraging if not hostile, so my expectations were low - but as it turns out there was no need - this is a solidly crafted little time travel mystery. And I pointedly use the word "crafted", because although the story on it's broadest level might be considered workmanlike, it's implementation and most especially it's logic (which is so critical to the time travel genre, and also so often faulty), was very precise and wonderfully done. The storyline took a bit of time to develop a head of steam, but once it got chugging along, it was emotionally resonant and pretty darn romantic. All of this positive review, and I haven't even had to mention how little I have enjoyed Adrien Brody's performances in the past (most notably, of course, his overblown work in The Pianist) - but wonder of wonders - I wasn't irritated by him at all today - as a matter of fact he did quite well with a role that required some finesse to pull off. Plus the aforementioned Miss Knightley (Nightly, please!), and an assortment of great supporting actors such as Kris Kristofferson and Jennifer Jason Leigh. As with any of these kinds of movies, I highly recommend you read as little as you can about it, if you plan to see it - especially some of those sour grapes reviewers who seem to feel justified in spoiling it with their sarcastic commentary.

Yes indeed, this is one nifty little time travel romance - an underpopulated genre combo. Hooray!

4 out of 5.

Civilization is a pyramid scheme. -Ronald Wright Edited by bookhead on
Mar 07, 2005 at 6:14 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Mar 06, 2005  10:22 PM 2

Originally posted by bookhead
I have seen The Jacket (...and the "drawer"... and Keira Knightley topless(!)) and it was a very pleasant surprise!

While I wasn't surprised, I second this.

this is a solidly crafted little {bleep} mystery. And I pointedly use the word "crafted", because although the story on it's broadest level might be considered workmanlike, it's implementation and most especially it's logic {bleep}, was very precise and wonderfully done.

I second this too, with a small reservation that there were a couple of minor logical missteps. But no big deal at all.

The storyline took a bit of time to develop a head of steam, but once it got chugging along, it was emotionally resonant and pretty darn romantic.

Yup, yup. I'm continuing my seconding.

All of this positive review, and I haven't even had to mention how little I have enjoyed Adrien Brody's performances in the past (most notably, of course, his overblown work in The Pianist) - but wonder of wonders - I wasn't irritated by him at all today - as a matter of fact he did quite well with a role that required some finesse to pull off.

Adrien Brody did a fine job here, but I've also had no problems with his performances in the past, and I quit enjoyed his work in The Pianist.

Plus the aforementioned Miss Knightley (Nightly, please!), and an assortment of great supporting actors such as Kris Kristofferson and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

It appears I'm in a minority, but Keira doesn't really do it for me as far as the physical attraction is concerned. The supporting actors all did good work though.
As with any of these kinds of movies, I highly recommend you read as little as you can about it, if you plan to see it - especially some of those sour grapes reviewers who seem to feel justified in spoiling it with their sarcastic commentary.

Yeah, I agree. In fact, hopefully you're reading this after having seen the movie. I think it would have been a better experience had I not known about the {bleep} aspects of it.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
Mar 08, 2005 at 10:32 PM

bookhead  
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Mar 07, 2005  6:15 AM 3

Astrakan, I find your agreement with my review deeply disturbing and I now plan on re-viewing it to see how truly bad a movie this must have been if you enjoyed it...

{Also, I apologize for my (unintentional) spoiler (in the title line no less!) - I had taken it for granted that all the promotional material had made that plot point clear. I have now corrected it. Sorry about that!}

Civilization is a pyramid scheme. -Ronald Wright
Peanuts  
Add Peanuts to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Peanuts
Send a Private Message to Peanuts!

Committed in Jan 2002
I'm in Pergatory
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 945
Mar 08, 2005  6:39 PM 4

Thanks for the info. From the trailers I have seen and the ads it did not appeal to me, but from your overview, review it now sounds interesting.

I'm tiny, I'm toony, I'm just a little loony
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Mar 08, 2005  10:35 PM 5

Originally posted by bookhead
Astrakan, I find your agreement with my review deeply disturbing and I now plan on re-viewing it to see how truly bad a movie this must have been if you enjoyed it...

Yeah, I was pretty durn dubious about going to see it after having read your review, but I've been waiting for this one since I heard good things from the... Sundance? Toronto? festival, so I decided to take a chance on it. :P I guess it's one of the 10-15% were we agree.

{Also, I apologize for my (unintentional) spoiler (in the title line no less!) - I had taken it for granted that all the promotional material had made that plot point clear. I have now corrected it. Sorry about that!}

You may be right. I hadn't really seen any advertising materials about it. Just read a review a while back and have been intrigued since. Anyway, I've edited my response too.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
Mar 08, 2005 at 10:36 PM

Rustling Leaf  
Extra Buttery
Add Rustling Leaf to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Rustling Leaf
Send a Private Message to Rustling Leaf!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the microwave

Addiction Index™: 2395
Mar 25, 2005  4:21 PM 7

Spoilers hereinafter.

It's not a bad movie. Not a great movie either. Some of the time travel paradox stuff and chicken or the egg questions weren't thought out well enough. Definitely not as well thought out as say Primer.

But....

I'm thinking he actually died in Iraq and didn't come back alive, meaning the rest of the movie is a pre-death vision, kind-of like what happened in Jacob's Ladder. If so, the time travel stuff wouldn't have to make sense since it's all in his soon to be dead head.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > The Jacket: A Mysterious Romance!   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:32 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)