It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Non-anamorphic on a 16x9 set?

Non-anamorphic on a 16x9 set?

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
Reggie T  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Reggie T to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Reggie T
Send a Private Message to Reggie T!Visit Reggie T's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Calgary
Alberta
Addiction Index™: 214
Aug 18, 2001  1:20 AM 1

Originally posted by Astrakan

Speaking of anamorphic, while it's very unfortunate that Criterion didn't get into anamorphic transfers right from the start with their DVD releases, all new releases will have anamorphic transfers. For a list of all anamorphic Criterion releases, refer to this site:

http://www.criteriondvd.com/anamorphic.asp

Ken Molen

Just a quck question, Ken (or anyone who can answer): How do 16x9 TVs handle letterboxed, non-animorphic DVDs? Are you restricted to watch them in 4x3 mode or can you "zoom" into the picture to make it fit the entire 16x9 screen?

Thanks!

In the book of life, I am nothing but a plot device.
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Aug 18, 2001  10:23 AM 2

I think that it depends on the DVD player. This is one reason why the Panasonic RP91 (a progressive) is so popular right now...I think.

Dave

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Aug 18, 2001  10:54 AM 3

Originally posted by Reggie T

Just a quck question, Ken (or anyone who can answer): How do 16x9 TVs handle letterboxed, non-animorphic DVDs? Are you restricted to watch them in 4x3 mode or can you "zoom" into the picture to make it fit the entire 16x9 screen?

Thanks!

By default, letterboxed, non-anamorphic DVDs will have black bars on the top and bottom, and grey bars on the sides on 16x9 screens. However, it is possible to zoom in on the picture until the grey bars on the sides are no longer visible, and some of the black bars (depending on the aspect ratio the movie was shot in) are visible at the top and bottom. By zooming in on the image, though, you'll loose some resolution, as you would zooming in on anything.

The reason I say that you'll still see some black bars, depending on aspect ratio, is that there are more than one widescreen aspect ratios used when filming but only one aspect ratio (16x9/1.78:1) used for widescreen TVs. And, depending on the aspect ratio, you'll see different amount of black bars. To better understand what I mean, please refer to the first two links below, they have screenshots of what I'm talking about.

Generally, you can say that there's two widescreen aspect ratios used when filming: 1.85:1, and 2.35:1, there are others but they're very uncommon. With 1.85:1, the black bars are hardly noticeable as there's only .07 difference in the ratio between it and the ratio of the widescreen set itself, while with 2:35:1 they are a little more noticeable, but not as bad as on a regular 4x3 TV.

For some screenshots and examples of what anamorphic and non-anamorphic transfers will look like on 4x3 and 16x9 TVs, you can refer to these links:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/artic...hic185demo.html - 1.85:1
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/artic...hic235demo.html - 2.35:1

Please note:

The first set of images on each page displays what anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic would look like on a 4x3 set where the DVD player was set to display the image as it would on a 16x9 TV.

The second set of images shows you what anamorphic and non-anamorphic video looks like on a 4x3 set whe re the DVD player was set up to display the image on a 4x3 set.

The third set of images deals with what we've been discussing here, what anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic films look like on a 16x9 set.

The above links are part of an excellent article at thedigitalbits.com regarding widescreen and anamorphic transfers. It explains everything about these topics in understandable English, without too much technical jargon. I highly recommend it. To read the entire article, you can go to:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/artic...phic/index.html

The article is divided into two sections, The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen, which deals with what anamorphic widescreen really is, and then there's Widescreen-o-rama, which deals with the concept of widescreen and the aforementioned aspect ratios.

The article(s) can be downloaded as a zipped Adobe Acrobat file by clicking here.

If you are even the least bit interested in movies on DVD and the art of film, I highly recommend reading that article.

Ken Molen

Edited by Astrakan on
Aug 18, 2001 at 11:00 AM

Reggie T  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Reggie T to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Reggie T
Send a Private Message to Reggie T!Visit Reggie T's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Calgary
Alberta
Addiction Index™: 214
Aug 18, 2001  12:21 PM 4

Thanks, ken!

Actually, ever since I learned how to hack into my TV's service menu, I've been watching my anamorphic movies using the good ol' anamorphic squeeze trick. Crude but effective.

In the book of life, I am nothing but a plot device.
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Non-anamorphic on a 16x9 set?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
8:22 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)