It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Movies and Childhood Memories

Movies and Childhood Memories

Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   1   2    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 2
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
brash  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Aug 11, 2001  2:57 PM 16

Originally posted by Chuck
My memory is fading as my 30th birthday approaches

The DVD selection has improved (for rentals), however the selection of DVD to buy is limited. Places like Sam the Record Man and Music World try to keep a limited selection, however they are always over-priced (i would assume the same in every town except maybe Toronto). The only place worth buying DVDs is Walmart, however their selection is limited. I will be nice when Futureshop open here later in the year -- maybe a little better selection and prices (maybe Music World and Sams will try to get competitive with them also ! )

Yes, except for the occasional sale item, I still by all of my DVDs online or in Toronto.

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Jonnhy99  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add Jonnhy99 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Jonnhy99
Send a Private Message to Jonnhy99!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 54
Aug 11, 2001  7:50 PM 17

Ghostbusters , coming to america, aliens, and golden child

DVD Collection!
Tkeela  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Addiction Index™: -
Aug 12, 2001  12:38 AM 18

I remember seeing ET in a theatre, and being really disappointed when I later found out I didn't like the taste of Reese's Pieces. One of the last shows I saw in the small town theatre where I grew up was Batteries Not Included. It closed soon after that.

My first "big city movie" was Ghostbusters. I went with Mom, and oddly enough the thing I remember most from that movie is this guy in a suit who was waiting in line ahead of me to get popcorn. He turned around and said "Stop standing so close!" or something like that. I was 12 years old, he was like this huge ogre to me. Way scarier than anything in the movie.

I'd have to say that the movies which had the biggest impact on my childhood/adolescence were Star Trek II, Robocop, and Back to the Future.
Star Trek II was the first time I'd seen Star Trek, and I was really touched by Spock's sacrifice. Robocop scared the living bejeebus out of me. I still shiver when I hear ED-209. Something about an enemy that can't be reasoned with... Back to the Future appealed to me because I always wanted some kind of academic mentor figure, having a cool professor friend would have been the greatest.

TKeela

tortilla  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Aug 12, 2001  1:05 AM 19

Lets go back a little further (but not much).

When I was six I remember seeing the original "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" (1975) starring Dan Haggerty. That same year was a Richard Boone movie called "Against a Crooked Sky".

1977 did have the pleasure of Star Wars. I remember the first time I saw it, the "Episode 3" at the start really confused me.

1978 brings back the all time great, "Grease". Where would all the Karaoke bars be today if people couldn't belt out a horrific version of Summer Nights.

ahhh.... the memories

tortilla

Unregistered  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Aug 12, 2001  1:05 PM 20

Originally posted by tortilla
Lets go back a little further (but not much).

When I was six I remember seeing the original "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" (1975) starring Dan Haggerty. That same year was a Richard Boone movie called "Against a Crooked Sky".

1977 did have the pleasure of Star Wars. I remember the first time I saw it, the "Episode 3" at the start really confused me.

1978 brings back the all time great, "Grease". Where would all the Karaoke bars be today if people couldn't belt out a horrific version of Summer Nights.

ahhh.... the memories

tortilla

Summer Nights, now there's a song that should be banned from karaoke.

Paulbg2000  
Growin' Gills!
Add Paulbg2000 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Paulbg2000
Send a Private Message to Paulbg2000!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in the GTA
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 607
Aug 15, 2001  1:52 PM 21

Originally posted by brash

I thought you knew that, Chuck.

Don't know how many DVD collectors there are in Belleville now, but between the two of us, I bet we have a better selection of DVDs than any of the rental stores in town.

Brian

I have 125+ and I just graduated from Loyalist (if that counts?!)

Chuck  
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Aug 15, 2001  3:09 PM 22

125 -- you count !

add my 350+ to it and we have a pretty good collection. The only problem is that I would never let the general population touch them without first taking a 5 hour course on DVD care

The only ones I would trust are other collectors

www.kittyfantastico.com
Paulbg2000  
Growin' Gills!
Add Paulbg2000 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Paulbg2000
Send a Private Message to Paulbg2000!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in the GTA
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 607
Aug 15, 2001  5:55 PM 23

125 -- you count !

add my 350+ to it and we have a pretty good collection. The only problem is that I would never let the general population touch them without first taking a 5 hour course on DVD care

I agree with you on the General Population thing. Sometimes I can't believe I rent a DVD that's been out for a day or two and it's full of scratches!

Noone touches my collection unless you've passed my personal test! hehehe....

brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Aug 15, 2001  11:37 PM 24

125 -- you count !

I'm just short of 200. Only a few family and friends get to borrow mine.

mdc3000  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Aug 16, 2001  8:19 PM 25

I've been seeing movies at the theatre on a weekly/bi weekly basis since I was 2 years old and went to see THE SECRET OF NYHM, so i have many childhood movie memories.

This will seem odd...but I actually remember going to see Return Of The Jedi when I was 3. I went with my uncle and my cousin, we arrived a few minutes late, rushed into the packed theatre and I was dazzled.

I remember very vividly going to see BABY, the movie about the baby dinosaur and thinking it was terrific.

Also, there was the time I went to see the rerelease of ET. I remember going with my dad, and they gave me a cool toy... it was a ball of brown fluff, with plastic googly eyes and purple plastic feet, it has a ribbon like tag attached at the feet that said "ET the Extra Terrestrial" and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

These are the movies that made me love movies when I was younger... and when I saw Jurassic Park when I was 13 I knew that I had to make movies, which is why I am in film school!

Also, I watched Dumbo and FOLLOW THAT BIRD at least 100 times each on my betamax VCR when I was younger...ah, beta.

MATT

Rometiklan  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Aug 17, 2001  11:52 AM 26

The movie that had the greatest impact on me as a kid was seeing Star Wars for the first time in 1977. There isn't much left to be said about this movie that hasn't already been said.

Another movie that I saw as a kid that I really liked was The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T. If you haven't seen this one, I highly recommend it if you have some 4 or 5 years olds who might want to watch a movie now that we're in the dog days of summer. It's the only live action movie released by Dr. Suess. It's about a kid who is forced to play in a piano recital of 500 children (hence, 5000 fingers) by the evil Dr. T. It's a fun movie.

I also liked The Wizard of Oz, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. A couple of classics...can't go wrong there!

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   1   2    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 2
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Movies and Childhood Memories   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
9:41 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)