It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > (Deal soon for region free users?) China to get legit dvds for $3 and $4ish

(Deal soon for region free users?) China to get legit dvds for $3 and $4ish

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Feb 25, 2005  3:35 PM 1

Pretty interesting. First a barebones movie will come out for about $3 Canadian when the movie is released then a $4 version will come out later with all the features.

Since these will be legit releases I imagine after awhile some smart store (I'm thinking CDWOW) will start selling them to the US/EU markets and the studios won't be able to complain (they tried to stop CDwow awhile ago from selling other region discs/cds and musta failed since they're still doing it).

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=528637

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more...
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Chuck  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Feb 25, 2005  4:23 PM 2

The issues are forsee are:

Region Coding ( for people with non Region-Free DVD players )

PAL versus NTSC. If China uses PAL, then 95% of the DVD players in North American won't be able to read these DVDs.

All that being said -- my DVD player can handle PAL DVD's and hopefully is region free, so bring on the $3 DVDs!

www.kittyfantastico.com
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord

Committed in May 2001

Feb 25, 2005  5:35 PM 3

Originally posted by Chuck
The issues are forsee are:

Region Coding ( for people with non Region-Free DVD players )

PAL versus NTSC. If China uses PAL, then 95% of the DVD players in North American won't be able to read these DVDs.

All that being said -- my DVD player can handle PAL DVD's and hopefully is region free, so bring on the $3 DVDs!

Mine can too . I'd imagine that 99% of region free machines do pal and I'm hoping that b/c we part of a bit of a niche market the studios won't consider us enough of a barrior to abandoning this new pricing model for China.

The downside is the piece I saw on newsworld showed just discs in white paper sleeves. Perhaps they were just using stock footage however at this price point it would make sense.

Either way once they start rolling out I'll be loving it Awhile ago I grabbed the R3 (S. Korea?) release of Austin Powers 3 from cdwow. Wasn't planning on buying it but the rental price was $5.75 incl tax at Jumbo and the copy from cdwow was exactly the same price when converted to CDN on my CC

Chuck  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Feb 25, 2005  7:54 PM 4

Originally posted by NakedGord
The downside is the piece I saw on newsworld showed just discs in white paper sleeves. Perhaps they were just using stock footage however at this price point it would make sense.

Using glossy "brochure" paper, CoverXP and images downloaded from the Internet, you can make pretty sharp covers. Then just pickup empty DVD cases and your set! Add's less than a dollar for case, cover and ink , to the final cost.

www.kittyfantastico.com
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Jun 12, 2005  1:28 PM 5

Originally posted by Chuck
Using glossy "brochure" paper, CoverXP and images downloaded from the Internet, you can make pretty sharp covers. Then just pickup empty DVD cases and your set! Add's less than a dollar for case, cover and ink , to the final cost.

Indeed

Also:

http://www.latimes.com/technology/l...ines-technology

It has just started with that Sister of the Pants movie

As the article noted it's an odd choice however hey atleast it's a start.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > (Deal soon for region free users?) China to get legit dvds for $3 and $4ish   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
1:24 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)