It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Audio/Video Setup DVD Suggestions

Audio/Video Setup DVD Suggestions

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
King Eddy III  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add King Eddy III to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from King Eddy III
Send a Private Message to King Eddy III!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Never Never Land

Addiction Index™: 211
Jul 16, 2001  12:09 AM 1

I have about $35 left to spend at HMV from all the GarageBand.com GCs, and I was thinking of getting one of the Audo/Video setup DVDs. I like to tweak my system on a regular basis (habit I can't break).

The only one I found so far at HMV.com was 'Ultimate Dvd/Platinum/2set' for $30.99. Is this one any good? The description seems to focus mainly on demos, not setup.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks...Eddy

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Chuck  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Jul 16, 2001  7:10 AM 2

You are right -- this is primarily a Demo DVD.

For A/V setup get either Video Essentials ($68.99) or Avia's Guide to Home Theatre ($71.99 )

Originally posted by King Eddy III
I have about $35 left to spend at HMV from all the GarageBand.com GCs, and I was thinking of getting one of the Audo/Video setup DVDs. I like to tweak my system on a regular basis (habit I can't break).

The only one I found so far at HMV.com was 'Ultimate Dvd/Platinum/2set' for $30.99. Is this one any good? The description seems to focus mainly on demos, not setup.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks...Eddy

Reggie T  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Reggie T to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Reggie T
Send a Private Message to Reggie T!Visit Reggie T's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Calgary
Alberta
Addiction Index™: 214
Jul 16, 2001  12:48 PM 3

Shop at Chapters.Indigo.ca for Great Savings!

I agree. I have both the Ultimate DVD Platnium and Video Essentials and I have to say that Video Essentials is far superior (the professionals actually use this disc and have used it since the laserdisc days).

Important to note is that yes, Video Essentials was originally a laserdisc which they ported over to DVD. As such, disc navigation can be a pain sometimes as laserdisc navigation and DVD navigation differ. The Avia disc was made more recently and was talored for the DVD format so if you have the choice between Aiva and Video Essentials, take the Avia. It's just as good as Video Essentials (some would argue that it's better) but it's the eaiser navagation of the Avia disc that really sets it apart.

However, I wouldn't pay $70 for any of them (got my DVD Platinum and Video Essentials from express.com back when they were $20-30 US so about $40 CDN ). If Video Essentials was $40 and the Avia was $70, take the Video Essentials disc as $30 extra isn't enough to justify the purchase. However, if they happen to be at the same price point ($70 or whatever) take the Avia.

King Eddy III  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add King Eddy III to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from King Eddy III

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Never Never Land

Jul 16, 2001  1:10 PM 4

It's funny, but it seems that everyone who has bought any of these DVDs say they are not worth the money. It is because they really don't help that much?

I did some setup with the extras on Tora! Tora! Tora!, and that seemed to help my picture a lot. I couldn't get the sound to get 'In Phase' and 'Out of Phase' as the tested showed, I either had 'In Phase' when it was supposed to be 'Out of Phase' and 'Out of Phase' when it was supposed to be 'In Phase', or is was just always 'Out of Phase' all the time,

For those who have used the Avia or Essentials DVDs, did you still find you had to tweak to get each different movie 'just right'? I find that now when I think it is just the right bass and surrounds, and the picture looks good for one movie, then the next movie I have to turn the surrounds down and the bass up, and brighten the picture.

Maybe it would be best for me to spend my GC$$ on .... MORE MOVIES

Thanks for all the comments so far...

Eddy

Chuck  
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Jul 16, 2001  1:21 PM 5

A better suggestion would be to rent the DVD and then decide if it is worth buying. To be honest, I have never really used my Avia as I never had enough patience to play around with it. I only have a 27" TV right now, thus I probably get more use out of Avia when I got my 53".

FYI www.hollywebdvd.com has Avia available in case your local video store doesn't have a copy.

King Eddy III  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Never Never Land

Jul 16, 2001  1:39 PM 6

I have yet to rent DVDs online. It seem very weird. That Hollyweb site is $24.95/mo CDN for unlimited rentals (3 at a time) and they pay for first class shipping and return shipping. How can they make money at that, unless it takes a week to get each DVD and another week to get it back to them, so you can only rent a couple times each month.

Chuck  

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Jul 16, 2001  1:49 PM 7

Some of it are testing it out right now. SOme of us will report back on how things go. As the owner said, the margin are small, however they hope to have large volume.

I would expect they did some proper forcasting / business planning as the bank would have never loaned them money otherwise. Ultimately, the worse we would lose is one months rental -- so not much risk for trying it.

GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Jul 16, 2001  4:54 PM 8

re: online rentals

I don't really see it as having anything to lose since if they go bankrupt, you can contest any charges via your credit card company. And you will more than likely have a couple DVDs in your possession at the time.

Costa The Slaveboy
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Audio/Video Setup DVD Suggestions   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:35 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)