It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Blade II - Wicked Comic Book Action

Blade II - Wicked Comic Book Action

Go to FIRST page   1   2 3  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 3
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
brash  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Mar 22, 2002  10:20 PM 1

Took in Blade II tonight. The title pretty much says it all. This is a B-grade horror movie with some nice HK style fighting. Pure eye candy, extremely violent, and if you are in the mood for those things a lot of fun. Far superior to the original.

For comic fans, b-horror fans, fighting action fans and anyone who has ever enjoyed a film with Steven Seagal or Jean-Claude Van Damme.

For everyone else. Particularly Julia Roberts fans.

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
othdawg  
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg
Send a Private Message to othdawg!Visit othdawg's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Addiction Index™: 1745
Mar 22, 2002  10:25 PM 2

I cant wait to see this one.. perhaps weekday matinee while all the other suckas are at work

Ahh.. I love getting paid to bum around

clearblue  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add clearblue to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from clearblue
Send a Private Message to clearblue!

Committed in Feb 2002
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 200
Mar 23, 2002  4:53 AM 3

Yeah, I caught this movie tonight too.. it's awesome alright! Tonnes of action and bonus, it's even got a decent storyline.. I'm ing over the DVD already

DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Mar 23, 2002  12:01 PM 4

How gory is it? I luv action, but not too fond of gore/horror. I could only handle first few minutes of Blade (the original). However, recently, I have watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 1 on DVD without much problem....looking forward to Season 2.

Thanks.

Dave

brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Mar 23, 2002  3:09 PM 5

Originally posted by DavidY
How gory is it? I luv action, but not too fond of gore/horror. I could only handle first few minutes of Blade (the original). However, recently, I have watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 1 on DVD without much problem....looking forward to Season 2.

Thanks.

Dave

Very... the nature of the story (vampires, etc) carries a lot of gore with it. Not into extreme horror movie territory, but certainly gorier than the first Blade.

insignificance  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add insignificance to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from insignificance
Send a Private Message to insignificance!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 57
Mar 23, 2002  3:10 PM 6

Blade 2 is definitely more gory than the first one. If Blade bothered you then the autopsy scene in Blade 2 will send you running for cover, it was disgusting.

othdawg  
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Mar 23, 2002  4:01 PM 8

Originally posted by vangleason
This film seems to be squarely aimed at those who prefer video games. All flash, no substance (and I'm not referring to intellectual substance). When I see overwrought, poorly directed, frantically edited action films like Blade II, I long for the sheer brilliance and simplicity of someone like Sam Peckinpah.

I think this problem is coming from too many directors are being recruited directly from the music video biz. Its a shame htey have to edit up Snipes, cause the guy has some great moves on him. Plus they have Donnie Yen in there too so you'd think they could have some excellent wide shot fights.

Luv the wild bunch too, man they just used buckets of red paint in that one didnt they??

I'll still go see blade2 anyway, I am pretty forgiving when it comes to hyperkinetic editing. As long as there is SOME talent involved I will usually like it.. PRobably why I hate every single bruckheimer movie, except Thief..

brash  

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Mar 23, 2002  5:34 PM 10

Originally posted by vangleason

The problem with directors who have only worked in music videos is that while they have a good grasp of cinematic language, they really have no experience with translating their visual virtuosity to the rigours of drama. I also should note that perhaps Blade II has some better fight scenes in its' latter half, but unfortunately, I had no patience to bother waiting for them since the first 45 minutes sucked all my energy and interest in the picture. And as for the gore-o-meter, The Wild Bunch still puts most contemporary movies to shame.

Well Guillermo del Toro is the director of Blade II, he also directed the excellent
Cronos and he is not a music video director. So while there is some merit to your general comments, they do not apply here.

The fast paced, strobe like editing was heavily used in the early parts of the film. In later scenes the action is cleaner with fewer cuts. One thing I should point out, these are supposed to be supernatural creatures and I would expect some effort was made to make their fights "inhuman" which would preclude the kind of editing Vangleason prefers.

The latter half of the film is where most of the story and best fights take place.

othdawg  

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Mar 23, 2002  7:22 PM 11

Originally posted by brash
The latter half of the film is where most of the story and best fights take place.

See, thats why I never walk out of a movie, no matter how bad! Came pretty goddamn close in armageddon though.. and if anything it got even worse!

E Man  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add E Man to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from E Man
Send a Private Message to E Man!

Committed in Jan 2002
I'm in different
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 273
Mar 23, 2002  9:19 PM 12

Rememebr, people it's Blade II, not Gandhi. It's supposed to be whiz-bang fun. I'll even say this is the best representation of comic-book action fights since Superman II, especially the grand finale. Not quite the coolness of the original, but still great and loads of FUN.

E Man
brash  

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Mar 23, 2002  10:35 PM 13

Originally posted by E Man
Rememebr, people it's Blade II, not Gandhi. It's supposed to be whiz-bang fun. I'll even say this is the best representation of comic-book action fights since Superman II, especially the grand finale. Not quite the coolness of the original, but still great and loads of FUN.

Gandhi II

Next week, on U-62, he's back! And this time, he's mad.
Gandhi 2!

No more Mr. Passive Resistance.
He's out to kick some butt.

This is one bad mother you don't want to mess with.
"Don't move, slimeball."
He's a one-man wrecking crew.
But he also knows how to party.
"Gimme a steak, medium rare."
("Hey Baldie!")

There is only one law--his law.
Gandhi II!

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2 3  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 3
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Blade II - Wicked Comic Book Action   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:33 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)