It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Connecting VCR to satellite receiver

Connecting VCR to satellite receiver

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
Fossil  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Fossil to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Fossil
Send a Private Message to Fossil!

Committed in Apr 2005
I'm in Powell River
British Columbia
Addiction Index™: 1486
Dec 06, 2010  11:34 AM 1

Help - dummy here again! Just changed over from Shaw cable to Telus satellite - and have no clue how to connect the VCR or DVD players to the satellite receivers. I asked the Telus person who installed the system - he said he didn't know either!

Can somebody (chdude3?) help?

Mothers love and teach - GRANDMOTHERS teach love!
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju
Add chdude3 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chdude3
Send a Private Message to chdude3!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
Addiction Index™: 4045
Dec 08, 2010  2:17 PM 2

Fossil, can you post the make and model number of the satellite receiver? I can't seem to find that information (or a user manual) on their website.

For the DVD player, I don't think you really want to hook it to the satellite receiver, mostly because you can't. Or rather I guess you physically COULD, but it wouldn't do anything. Your DVD player has audio video outputs only, and your satellite receiver had audio/video outputs only.

You'll want to just connect both of those devices to your TV.

Now the VCR, that may be possible - but you'd be doing the reverse. You'd hook the satellite box up to the VCR, in theory to record the audio/video from the satellite box. If that's not your intention though, again you'll just want to hook up the VCR to your TV.

So I think in all 3 cases (DVD, VCR, satellite), just hook them up to your TV.

Wanting what I've got. Life is good!
Fossil  
Add Fossil to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Fossil

Committed in Apr 2005
I'm in Powell River
British Columbia
Dec 13, 2010  11:35 AM 3

thanks "dude" - I can always rely on you

the receiver says HDTV 6131. I have a Zenith VCR/DVD combo and hooked it up to the tv like you said, and I can now play stuff - but is it possible to record on the VCR? I can't figure out if I can - even if it is just while I am watching the show.

chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju
Add chdude3 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chdude3

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
Dec 14, 2010  11:50 AM 4

Originally posted by Fossil
thanks "dude" - I can always rely on you

the receiver says HDTV 6131. I have a Zenith VCR/DVD combo and hooked it up to the tv like you said, and I can now play stuff - but is it possible to record on the VCR? I can't figure out if I can - even if it is just while I am watching the show.

It's possible, provided your VCR has an input other than just a regular coax connection. I don't suppose you can post the make/model of your VCR so we can check?

Fossil  

Committed in Apr 2005
I'm in Powell River
British Columbia
Dec 14, 2010  3:43 PM 5

Zenith XBV342 DVD/VCR combo - about 5 or 6 years old.

chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
Dec 15, 2010  9:50 AM 6

Originally posted by Fossil
Zenith XBV342 DVD/VCR combo - about 5 or 6 years old.

It is possible, then, but the recording quality will be fairly poor especially for HD channels.

What you would need to do is connect the composite A/V outputs from the satellite receiver to the composite A/V inputs on your VCR. The VCR would only be able to tape whatever was currently being output from the satellite box.

The satellite box MAY employ something akin to Macrovision copy protection which would make any recordings on your VCR just about unwatchable. I wouldn't know unless you tried it though.

Fossil  

Committed in Apr 2005
I'm in Powell River
British Columbia
Dec 15, 2010  3:19 PM 7

Thank you so much - I will try it. It isn't crucial - just wanted to tape some Christmas shows for the grandkid which come on after his bedtime!

Hope you & your family have a really happy Christmas season - thanks for all your help during the year! You are the best

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Connecting VCR to satellite receiver   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
4:01 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)