It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Kurosawa Collecting!

Kurosawa Collecting!

Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 5
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
othdawg  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg
Send a Private Message to othdawg!Visit othdawg's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Addiction Index™: 1745
Mar 15, 2002  11:43 PM 1

The great forum films post got me thinking about this.. I still need some kurosawa movies and was wondering if anyone has seen the following for a good price:

1) Rashomon : Seen it, brilliant. Unfortunately the DVD is pricey as hell everywhere I look

2) Throne of Blood : Never seen this DVD anywhere. Does it exist? Too lazy to check imdb right now

3) Ran : This is one of my "must haves". Havent seen the DVD anywhere!

Also, I am dying to find a poster (or 2!) of Toshiro Mifune as Yojimbo/Sanjuro. Havent had any luck yet..

the Kurosawa DVDs I have already are: Seven samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Sanjuro. All are amazing and all were bought from the US since criterion stuff is outrageous here!!

Criterion really is rediculous. The picture quality isnt all that improved, and there really arent that many extras compared to most new releases these days. So I kind of find the $60 price for some of the discs a *tad* unreasonable! (But thats another thread..)

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
marigold13  
Growin' Gills!
Add marigold13 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from marigold13
Send a Private Message to marigold13!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 772
Mar 16, 2002  12:19 AM 2

Don't know if this was what you are looking for. I have a friend who is a Kurosawa freak, and this is his desktop wallpaper.

http://www.blarg.net/~dr_z/Movie/Po...ojimbo_Rep.html

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
othdawg  
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg
Send a Private Message to othdawg!Visit othdawg's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Addiction Index™: 1745
Mar 16, 2002  12:22 AM 3

Originally posted by marigold13
Don't know if this was what you are looking for. I have a friend who is a Kurosawa freak, and this is his desktop wallpaper.

That is a good `un, but the type I am searching for everywhere would be something like from the movie itself. Just a really cool B&W pic would be da best.

I remember seeing one online for seven samurai, had them all in a group photo sort of, it looked really cool. No idea if its an actual poster or anything though..

brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Mar 16, 2002  9:36 AM 4

Originally posted by othdawg
The great forum films post got me thinking about this.. I still need some kurosawa movies and was wondering if anyone has seen the following for a good price:

1) Rashomon : Seen it, brilliant. Unfortunately the DVD is pricey as hell everywhere I look

I've got it on pre-order from Amazon. With the preorder discount, Share the Love, and a coupon it's costing me about $44 CDN delivered.

2) Throne of Blood : Never seen this DVD anywhere. Does it exist? Too lazy to check imdb right now

No DVD release. Probably see it from Criterion in the next year.

3) Ran : This is one of my "must haves". Havent seen the DVD anywhere!

It's out on DVD, but apparently the quality is terrible. There will probably be a new release in the next year. Maybe from Criterion if they can licence it.

Also, I am dying to find a poster (or 2!) of Toshiro Mifune as Yojimbo/Sanjuro. Havent had any luck yet..

the Kurosawa DVDs I have already are: Seven samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Sanjuro. All are amazing and all were bought from the US since criterion stuff is outrageous here!!

Criterion really is rediculous. The picture quality isnt all that improved, and there really arent that many extras compared to most new releases these days. So I kind of find the $60 price for some of the discs a *tad* unreasonable! (But thats another thread..)

Actually, owning about 70 of the Criterion DVDs, and having had the opportunity to compare a few of them to other releases of the same films, I find their quality is usually exceptional. Usually any flaws in the picture are from the source material not Criterion.

Criterion licences films, they don't actual own any, so they have to pay licence fees which increases their cost against other companies. Personally, I don't mind paying the prices to get a decent DVD. While I have no doubt a film like Seven Samurai would get a decent treatment from another studio, I shudder at the thought of how films like Sanjuro and the Hidden Fortress would look. Also, if you are comparing the quality of those DVDs to VHS, keep in mind that the VHS releases were taken from the Criterion Laserdisc restorations and are also very expensive to buy.

The problem with Criterions in Canada is they have two price levels $29.95 US and $39.95 US based on the content of the DVD. These prices are pretty reasonable for Americans, but because there is lousy distribution of them in Canada you often get prices inflated to $60+ after the exchange.

I have averaged about $35-$45 a dvd by buying from Amazon, with coupons and STL. Also, DVD Box Office now has pretty good pricing on Criterions. $34.95 for the $29.95 US ones and $46.95 for the $39.95 ones. You might want to check them out.

ledorky  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add ledorky to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ledorky
Send a Private Message to ledorky!

Committed in Jan 2002
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 164
Mar 16, 2002  4:05 PM 6

I hope these aren't pirated discs we're talking about here ...

Ivy  
Slavegirl
Add Ivy to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Ivy
Send a Private Message to Ivy!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in
Vancouver BC
Addiction Index™: 4540
Mar 17, 2002  7:48 AM 8

Originally posted by othdawg

That is a good `un, but the type I am searching for everywhere would be something like from the movie itself. Just a really cool B&W pic would be da best.

I remember seeing one online for seven samurai, had them all in a group photo sort of, it looked really cool. No idea if its an actual poster or anything though..

This site's got lots of stuff......got lots of cash??
http://www.applet-j.com/japanese%20movie/

Ivy

SkID  
Recently Committed Human
Add SkID to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from SkID
Send a Private Message to SkID!

Committed in Oct 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 40
Mar 17, 2002  9:38 AM 9

Thanks for the heads up on DVDBoxOffice's price on Rashomon. I was worried that I was going to have to pay the $57.99 price that Future Shop was advertising.

A quick question, has anyone seen High and Low ?

I currently own Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo and Hidden Fortress, and the completist side of me is trying to decide whether or not to buy this DVD.

It also looks like it could be a good year for Kurosawa fans, with the following films currently being worked on:
Do-Des-Ka-Den (Criterion)
Ikiru (Criterion)
Red Beard (Criterion)
Dersu Uzala (Ruscico)
Ran (Wellspring)

flex  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add flex to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from flex
Send a Private Message to flex!Visit flex's homepage!

Committed in Feb 2002
I'm in
Toronto
Addiction Index™: 280
Mar 17, 2002  12:13 PM 11

rishoman chaned my liefe - at laest frm my piont a veiw

exhibita  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Addiction Index™: -
Mar 19, 2002  9:34 PM 12

If you are a Kurosawa completist you might want to get the new 275 minute documentary coming out on April 23rd from Wellspring. It's called "Kurosawa" (I know, not very original). The synopsis reads:

"From "Ran" to "Madadayo," Akira Kurosawa set new boundaries for world cinema, producing a string of masterpieces unrivaled in motion picture history. In the first major documentary to be made since his death in 1998, Kurosawa's family and colleagues are joined by critics from Japan and America to produce a comprehensive assessment of his films and distinguished career."

You can find more info on this title at the Image web site:

http://www.image-entertainment.com/image/ies/home.jsp

Do a keyword search for "Kurosawa".

locutusx  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add locutusx to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from locutusx
Send a Private Message to locutusx!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 137
Mar 27, 2002  1:31 AM 13

All I want to know is when DREAMS is coming out.

(If it's already out, please say so!)

brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Mar 27, 2002  5:59 AM 14

Originally posted by locutusx
All I want to know is when DREAMS is coming out.

(If it's already out, please say so!)

Don't we all.

My first exposure to Kurosawa was seeing this film during its theatrical release at a theater in Waterloo.

Unfortunately Dreams is MIA at the moment. Hopefully we'll see it on DVD sometime soon.

locutusx  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add locutusx to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from locutusx
Send a Private Message to locutusx!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 137
Mar 27, 2002  6:51 PM 15

Who would be the proponent to get Dreams released? After all, the director is dead, so would it be the license-owner? Who would that be? Perhaps some email prodding is in order...

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 5
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Kurosawa Collecting!   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
3:08 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)