Intensely Serious Debate is a forum for serious debating only.
- You must carry on intelligent, serious, and mature debate only. This should be self-explanatory.
- You must support your opinions/counterpoints with either logical explanations of your thinking / anecdotal experiences OR with links to studies, facts, or other evidence. It is not enough to simply say you agree or to keep repeating the same opinion "until they get it". If you have nothing new to say in your reponses, don't respond at all. Post your counterpoints with clarity and back up your opinions with fact and
- You absolutely MUST post with SUBSTANCE. Refrain from 3 word posts, "Me Too" posts, or trivial remarks. Inject new and thoughtful ideas and perspectives. Your post must add value to the discussion.
- Your counterpoints must be backed up with fact OR new information or viewpoints. Repeating the same baseless opinion over and over and over without offering new information is childish and crude.
- Respect your Bowl mates' right to voice their opinions on a subject. Debate the issue, NOT THE PERSON. (this is already part of the Bowl Rules, but it merits repeating here)
- You must not post with frivolity. This means no cuteness, silly-ness, profuse use of smilies, clowning around, idle chitchat, etc. "Serious" means serious.
- DO NOT RESPOND at all if you have nothing new to add to the debate.
- No discussion hijacking! This means you MUST STAY ON TOPIC. Show some respect for the person who started the discussion and for the other participants by not derailing their discussion. Start your own discussion thread if you want to discuss something else.
- No "Me Too" or "I agree!" replies Refrain from replying with a simple “atta-boy” when someone makes a point you agree with. It is not enough to simply say that you agree with another post. You must add something NEW to the discussion.
It will get heated in here, so if stay away if you can't handle the kitchen. We're not kidding.
Participants who take a debate too personally and out of context will be warned and their posts deleted lest they turn the discussion into a childish hissy-fit. We want to maintain a high level maturity, "intelligence", and "sophistication" in this area and won't let a vocal or prolific minority ruin it for everyone else.
REMEMBER: Instensely Serious Debate is NOT like the other areas in the Bowl. VERY STRICT rules apply here! Posts will be deleted with prejudice (and no explanation) if they contravene the above rules. Yes, really.
(Note that we may sometimes make an exception and move a thread that merits serious discussion to this forum even if it isn't a "debate" in the strictest sense of the word.)