It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > Immigration to Canada help??

Immigration to Canada help??

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
str8jkt  
Growin' Gills!
Add str8jkt to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from str8jkt
Send a Private Message to str8jkt!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Calgary

Addiction Index™: 816
Jan 24, 2002  11:28 AM 1

I have a friend who has been working for the past two years in Canada. (He is Australian). He has recently been told that they are getting rid of the position he is currently in. Does anyone here have any suggestions or experience regarding immigration laws, etc? He does not want to become a Canadian citizen because Australia does not allow dual citizenship (he doesn't want to lost his Aussie citizenship). He has a gf here who he has been living commonlaw with for the 2 years. (plus the 1 that she lived in Australia with him).

Does anyone know anything about immigrant status, how long it takes for an application to go through, how hard it is to complete, etc? Any help is welcomed. He is resigned right now to going back to Australia (which me and the gf really don't want as we've become good friends here). Thanks in advance for any help.

Look out!! The men in the white suits are after me again!
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
taz  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Addiction Index™: -
Jan 24, 2002  12:02 PM 2

I guess he is on work permit. He will need to apply for Permanent Residency.
The CIC website explains everything.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr/guide-ce.html

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Jan 24, 2002  12:30 PM 3

That situation is very similar to what mine was like before I became a landed immigrant. The difference being that I was goign to school, and not working, but our status as visitor would be the same. The normal procedure for applying for landed status is to do it outside of Canada, meaning that he would have to go back to Australia to do so. However, since he has a common law wife, he can try to apply from within Canada based on humanitarian grounds. They would then process his application in Vegreville, instead of at the embassy of his home country. During this procedure he would be allowed to stay in Canada. The tricky part is how he would support himself while being here, since he's losing his job his work permit would be revoked and he wouldn't be able to work here legally - and I don't recommend working anyway, could be disastrous. The processing time varies from case to case, but for me it took ~10 months.

As for difficulty to complete the application... there's a lot of stuff to fill out, there's no question about it. Both himself and his wife, as his sponsor, would have to fill out lengthy applications and supply all manners of documents. If he doesn't have all the documents required, it'll take even longer. The only document that I had to specifically acquire was a statement from the Swedish police stating my crime record, or lack thereof. He will need such a statement from any country in which he's lived for more than 6 months.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

The above mentioned site is a good one to use as well. Another option is to get in touch with a lawyer. There's lawyers who specialize in immigrational law. A bit more expensive, but from what I've heard they usually know their stuff.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
Paulbg2000  
Growin' Gills!
Add Paulbg2000 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Paulbg2000
Send a Private Message to Paulbg2000!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in the GTA
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 607
Jan 24, 2002  1:34 PM 4

He can apply for Permanent Landed Immigrant Status, that way he cannot be deported from Canada and he can still retain his Austrailia Citizenship.

audgirl  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add audgirl to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from audgirl
Send a Private Message to audgirl!

Committed in Jan 2002
I'm in
Saskatchewan
Addiction Index™: 50
Jan 24, 2002  2:17 PM 5

My husband has been a landed immigrant for just over a year. When we did the paper work I, being Canadian, could sponser him as part of the family class. Your friend may be able to do that since he is common law but only of his spouse has Canadian citizenship. (my guess is that she doesn't right?)

We started the paperwork in May and the paperwork was finished in December. We had to pay around $500 for the paperwork part and another $975ish as a landing fee. It costs lots of bucks. I had to provide my paystubs for a year and there is a cutoff as to how much your sponsor has to make before they can sponsor someone. The amount depends on where you are living. You may be able to find a church or organization that will be willing to sponsor you.

As mentioned the paperwork can be lenghty and you may have to go for an interview with an immigration officer. We were able to do the paperwork easily, we had no trouble and a lawyer can be helpful but procy. The website that the CIC has is great and if you need you can call immigration office. They are very helpful.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them

GOOD LUCK TO YOUR FRIEND!!

Keep us posted

str8jkt  
Growin' Gills!
Add str8jkt to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from str8jkt

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Calgary

Jan 24, 2002  2:41 PM 6

Thanks audgirl and astrakan.. all of this info is super helpful.. Keep it coming!!

Look out!! The men in the white suits are after me again!
Blitz09  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Blitz09 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Blitz09
Send a Private Message to Blitz09!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Lodoss

Addiction Index™: 244
Jan 24, 2002  4:21 PM 7

The process might be a bit shorter, since Australia is part of the Commonwealth.

Blit

Ivy  
Slavegirl
Add Ivy to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Ivy
Send a Private Message to Ivy!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in
Vancouver BC
Addiction Index™: 4540
Jan 24, 2002  6:32 PM 8

The only document that I had to specifically acquire was a statement from the Swedish police stating my crime record, or lack thereof. He will need such a statement from any country in which he's lived for more than 6 months.

You're Swedish Astrakan?? That's neat!
How did you end up in Canada?
Do you have an accent?
Apparently, when I'm drunk I have a Swedish accent! I don't know where it comes from! I'm Irish!

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Jan 24, 2002  10:40 PM 9

Originally posted by Ivy
You're Swedish Astrakan?? That's neat!
How did you end up in Canada?
Do you have an accent?
Apparently, when I'm drunk I have a Swedish accent! I don't know where it comes from! I'm Irish!

Yup, born and raised in Sweden. Moved to Canada in 1997 after having met a lovely Canadian girl while at a MUD party* in San Fransisco. My accent must be subtle, as I've been told many times that I don't have one, but my wife (that lovely Canadian girl from San Fransisco) insists I do. And yes, the accent comes out big-time when I'm drunk. I have an excuse for that though, unlike some people.

KM

*MUD party = I used to program for a MUD (an online text based game, sort of like Zork, only multi-user environment) and when the owner of it held a party in SF, I just had to go. I'm glad I did, even if I did end up getting mugged by a cab driver my first night there.

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism Edited by Astrakan on
Jan 30, 2002 at 12:01 PM

Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Jan 30, 2002  12:00 PM 10

Hey, str8jkt! Any news on your friend's situation?

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
str8jkt  
Growin' Gills!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Calgary

Jan 30, 2002  12:24 PM 11

I think they are going to go back to Australia =(

Which is too bad but they were eventually planning on going back so instead his gf is now in the process of applying for immigration status to there....

Thanks for all the help though, we are constantly still trying to convince him to stay ;-)

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > Immigration to Canada help??   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:28 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)