It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > Thinking Outside the Bowl > Intensely Serious Debate > NEW RULES for Intensely Serious Debate [READ BEFORE POSTING!]

NEW RULES for Intensely Serious Debate [READ BEFORE POSTING!]

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Jan 28, 2002  1:28 PM 1

Intensely Serious Debate is a forum for serious debating only.

This means:

DO's:

• You must carry on intelligent, serious, and mature debate only. This should be self-explanatory.

• You must support your opinions/counterpoints with either logical explanations of your thinking / anecdotal experiences OR with links to studies, facts, or other evidence. It is not enough to simply say you agree or to keep repeating the same opinion "until they get it". If you have nothing new to say in your reponses, don't respond at all. Post your counterpoints with clarity and back up your opinions with fact and

• You absolutely MUST post with SUBSTANCE. Refrain from 3 word posts, "Me Too" posts, or trivial remarks. Inject new and thoughtful ideas and perspectives. Your post must add value to the discussion.

• Your counterpoints must be backed up with fact OR new information or viewpoints. Repeating the same baseless opinion over and over and over without offering new information is childish and crude.

• Respect your Bowl mates' right to voice their opinions on a subject. Debate the issue, NOT THE PERSON. (this is already part of the Bowl Rules, but it merits repeating here)

DON'Ts:

• You must not post with frivolity. This means no cuteness, silly-ness, profuse use of smilies, clowning around, idle chitchat, etc. "Serious" means serious.

• DO NOT RESPOND at all if you have nothing new to add to the debate.

• No discussion hijacking! This means you MUST STAY ON TOPIC. Show some respect for the person who started the discussion and for the other participants by not derailing their discussion. Start your own discussion thread if you want to discuss something else.

• No "Me Too" or "I agree!" replies Refrain from replying with a simple “atta-boy” when someone makes a point you agree with. It is not enough to simply say that you agree with another post. You must add something NEW to the discussion.

NB #1
It will get heated in here, so if stay away if you can't handle the kitchen. We're not kidding.

NB #2
Participants who take a debate too personally and out of context will be warned and their posts deleted lest they turn the discussion into a childish hissy-fit. We want to maintain a high level maturity, "intelligence", and "sophistication" in this area and won't let a vocal or prolific minority ruin it for everyone else.

REMEMBER: Instensely Serious Debate is NOT like the other areas in the Bowl. VERY STRICT rules apply here! Posts will be deleted with prejudice (and no explanation) if they contravene the above rules. Yes, really.

(Note that we may sometimes make an exception and move a thread that merits serious discussion to this forum even if it isn't a "debate" in the strictest sense of the word.)

Costa The Slaveboy Edited by a Juju Slave on
Oct 17, 2002 at 12:09 PM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Sep 19, 2002  3:14 PM 2

Posted by Sockboy:
The way I see it, the entire POINT of the serious forum is to disagree. The idea is to DEBATE topics and point out things that others may not have considered. Too many people are getting their feathers ruffled when others disagree with them rather than putting together an intelligent response.

Always keep this in mind! If you find yourself getting frustrated then you need to step back and remind yourself that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Opinions contrary to your own are NOT insults -- they're just someone elses opinions.

Posted by chdude:
Disagreement is something I've really enjoy. Often times, I find that there is a perfectly logical point of view that I hadn't even thought to consider.

Also, with some threads in Intensely Serious, some people are going to be left out precisely because of their education. I'd rather *not* participate in a thread because I don't know enough about the topic being discussed, rather than try and jam in my uninformed opinion and pollute the discussion going on there - and in fact I've practiced this in the past. And to posters' credit, I've read threads that I didn't know much about, only to find myself learning from what other people had to say. Shocking! An alternate viewpoint is fine, and in fact I'd welcome it. But I feel an uneducated opinion won't do much for a thread.

Posted by dewcat:
I don't think anyone needs to feel left out because of education or viewpoint. A wide range of views makes discussion more interesting.

It takes a little more work to check your facts or figure out a logical argument but since this is a "posting" board instead of a "chat" room you have plenty of time to work out what you would like to say. Taking the time to do a search might give you the ammunition you need to make your point in a convincing way.

I also have learned a great deal at times in this forum. If the debate is kept serious it could be a great tool for self-education.

re: the new strict rules
I would have to disagree that everyone putting their 2 cents in makes it a debate.

For all the members who believe that stating your opinion to others is debating -- you are mistaken!

A debate involves supporting the opinion in some way-with logical reasons why you think this way and, even better, with studies, facts, or other evidence to prove your point.
"I believe ___ , because my father always said so" is not a logical argument.
"I believe ___ , because everyone knows this is wrong" is also not a logical argument.

There is room for sarcasm to illustrate a point, and for interesting comments, but there is no place in discussion for idle chit-chat and for loudly re-iterating opinions. It is driving respected posters out of here, with the end result that you have a handful of loud posters left who would be equally well-served in the other areas of the Bowl.

Costa The Slaveboy Edited by a Juju Slave on
Oct 17, 2002 at 11:56 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > Thinking Outside the Bowl > Intensely Serious Debate > NEW RULES for Intensely Serious Debate [READ BEFORE POSTING!]   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
11:44 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)