It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Bowl Poll! - Rate: The Fellowship of the Ring

Bowl Poll! - Rate: The Fellowship of the Ring

Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   3 4 5 6   7    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 7
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
How would you rate The Fellowship of the Ring?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
1: Terrible - One of the worst movies of the year. 1 1.54%
2: Below Average - Some good stuff, but weak in areas. 8 12.31%
3: Average - Pretty good movie. 7 10.77%
4: Above Average - Lots to like, recommendable. 23 35.38%
5: Excellent - One of the best movies of the year. 26 40.00%
Total: 65 votes 100%

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
brash  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Jan 31, 2002  7:33 AM 91

Originally posted by bookhead

Regardless of the merits of this film adaptation (or lack thereof), I agree with Astrakan on his doubt of Tolkien's pride about this project. Above all else, Tolkien was the master storyteller, and the bastardization of the spirit of his words in this screenplay surely has him spinning in his grave...

E Man!

From what I have read, Tolkein was quite eager to see his books made into a film, which is why he sold the film rights in the first place.

Could you please explain the spirit of his words to me, Bookhead? I'm still not sure what is being bastardized.

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Astrakan  
Growin' Gills!
Add Astrakan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Astrakan
Send a Private Message to Astrakan!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto, ON

Addiction Index™: 785
Jan 31, 2002  8:57 AM 92

Originally posted by brash
From what I have read, Tolkein was quite eager to see his books made into a film, which is why he sold the film rights in the first place.

Oh? That's more than I knew. Seeing as to how he was such a luddite, I assumed that it would've been his estate, i.e. his greedy son Christopher, that sold the film rights. Do you have the source for this? Not that I doubt you, I'm just an interested Tolkien fan.

KM

"It becomes a redundant story of nervous rich old men erasing the work of passionate and brave young men. Sad, sad, sad." -- Moriarity on Digital Revisionism
bookhead  
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Jan 31, 2002  9:53 AM 93

Could you please explain the spirit of his words to me, Bookhead? I'm still not sure what is being bastardized.

As Louis Armstrong once said, ''There are some folks that, if they don't know, you can't tell 'em.''

If you enjoyed the screenplay so much, I probably cannot explain the spirit of Tolkien's words to you, nor would I want to try and spoil your enthusiasm. However, at the core of my disappointment with the screenplay is how the Hobbits are mostly just along for the ride with the fellowship - from my reading of the originals, Tolkien had the Hobbits as the heart (and eyes) of the tale...

brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Jan 31, 2002  10:22 AM 94

Originally posted by Astrakan

Oh? That's more than I knew. Seeing as to how he was such a luddite, I assumed that it would've been his estate, i.e. his greedy son Christopher, that sold the film rights. Do you have the source for this? Not that I doubt you, I'm just an interested Tolkien fan.

KM

I have been having trouble find the references as I read a number of articles about it over the past few months online. I am short on time today, but I will see what I can dig up over the weekend.

What I do know is this, the popular account is that Tolkien sold the movie rights for 10,000 Pounds in 1969 to pay taxes, however this account appears to be apocryphal. The more detailed accounts I have read raise the figure to 250,000 pounds. I am inclined to believe the higher figure. For confidentiality reasons, I suspect we will never know for sure.

Tolkien's attitude to a movie, as I have read it ranged from indifferent to eager to see if his "mythology" could work on the screen. He was also quoted by an associate as saying given the choice between money and control, he decided to take the money.

Christopher has actually been on record as saying the LOTR was "unfilmable" and he was opposed to any film being made. There appears to be a lot of "sour grapes"on the part of Christopher regarding the whole film rights issue.

sdifox  
Growin' Gills!
Add sdifox to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from sdifox
Send a Private Message to sdifox!Visit sdifox's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 600
Jan 31, 2002  10:50 AM 95

I watched the movie last night (using that MS mistery gift) and I have to say the hobbits felt about right but the other characters just felt out of place a bit. Me think it's the director's fault. Aragorn was a bit too mellow while Boromir was not fierce enough for me. Legolas and the dwarf (can't remember the name) were just standing there. And the resemblance of Legolas to Jay of Clerks fame was just too distracting for me.

I guess it is as close as they could get it.

Optoma HD6800, 92" Greywolf II, Marantz AV9000 Outlaw 750, Def Tech BP-2000TL, BP-10B, LCR2000, Panasonic RP-82S, Pioneer DV-505, JVC 3-CD/ MD Deck, Technic 60 CD Changer, 1200+DVDs, 60 DVD-Audio
brash  

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Jan 31, 2002  10:53 AM 96

Originally posted by bookhead
As Louis Armstrong once said, ''There are some folks that, if they don't know, you can't tell 'em.''

Hmmmmm, that might explain why you can't appreciate the film

If you enjoyed the screenplay so much, I probably cannot explain the spirit of Tolkien's words to you, nor would I want to try and spoil your enthusiasm. However, at the core of my disappointment with the screenplay is how the Hobbits are mostly just along for the ride with the fellowship - from my reading of the originals, Tolkien had the Hobbits as the heart (and eyes) of the tale...

It's a valid comment, but hardly one that I would call a "bastardization". I still saw the Hobbits as central to the story, not to mention that aside from Frodo, the other three don't really come into their own until the second and third part, anyway.

Are you sure that what you call the "spirit" of Tolkien's work is really his, or just your own interpretation? The appreciation of literature is a personal experience, forgive my skepticism, but it seems interesting that you seem to grasp the "spirit" of Tolkien better than most of his readers.

It's a movie, and IMO, a pretty good one. I don't compare it to the book because reading is a different experience from movie going, and I am happy to have both now. If you want to read about the spirit of Tolkien try this article

bookhead  
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Jan 31, 2002  12:12 PM 97

Are you sure that what you call the "spirit" of Tolkien's work is really his, or just your own interpretation?

...it most certainly is my own...

The appreciation of literature is a personal experience, forgive my skepticism, but it seems interesting that you seem to grasp the "spirit" of Tolkien better than most of his readers.

I don't believe that I have claimed to have a better grasp of any aspect of reality than the rest of the planet, as a matter of fact I have tried to make clear that it is my quest to better understand why the majority of people think the way they do (e.g.: my favourite xmas song is "Why Am I Such A Misfit?" sung by Hermie & Rudolph), however, in my experience I have found that popularity often doesn't signify quality or good sense...

...and once again, it is not my wish to rain on anyone's parade, if it feels good - do it!

brash  

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Feb 03, 2002  12:05 AM 98

Geez, bookhead, have we goaded each other to the point that we're both desensitized now?

othdawg  
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg
Send a Private Message to othdawg!Visit othdawg's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Addiction Index™: 1745
Feb 03, 2002  1:59 AM 99

Geez, bookhead, have we goaded each other to the point that we're both desensitized now?

To be honest I forget what exactly it was you two goobers were ripping each other up over

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   3 4 5 6   7    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 7
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > Bowl Poll! - Rate: The Fellowship of the Ring   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
3:23 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)