It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > What value do you put on DVD trades to the U.S.?

What value do you put on DVD trades to the U.S.?

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Jul 02, 2001  1:59 PM 1

I need to send a three DVD boxset (sealed) to the U.S. to complete a trade. Just wondering what value should I write down on the value declaration form in order to have my U.S. contact NOT be charged for customs, duties, taxes or whatever

In addition to marking it as a gift, my options are:

1. Actual value of the DVD's....say around CDN$50-$60

2. A small amount...say $15 or $20 (what amount do customs starting charging the recipient?)

3. Zero since it shouldn't matter. They may get suspicious about this one.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW, this is my first big U.S. trade. All my other ones were singles and therefore, not a problem.

Dave

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Jul 02, 2001  11:11 PM 2

Dave, I've found that the free trade act favours USer in this repect - they don't get charged anything!!

Even on electronics!

As far as I know, what you declare doesn't matter much - I've never heard of any Americans being taxed for shipments from Canada.

I'd declare it at $40. But this is a plain technicality as I'm 99% sure it'll go through fine.

(you can also email that guy that posts his DVDs at the DVDCanada forum - he always mentions that he's a "Gold Trader at DVDTalk" - he'd know 100%)

Costa The Slaveboy
DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Jul 02, 2001  11:17 PM 3 Dell.ca: Great deals on Windows PCs!

Costa,

You are second person to note that it really doesn't matter what value I put on the DVD's....so I will just put the actual value and see what happens. I am pretty sure that he will do the same....and then I will probably get dinged with a few charges (customs, taxes, etc.). Such as life....Canadians usually get the short end of the stick.

Dave

MikeNet  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add MikeNet to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from MikeNet
Send a Private Message to MikeNet!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in bed with blondes, brunnettes, redheads, and any ot

Addiction Index™: 157
Jul 03, 2001  12:54 AM 4

Originally posted by DavidY
Costa,

You are second person to note that it really doesn't matter what value I put on the DVD's....so I will just put the actual value and see what happens. I am pretty sure that he will do the same....and then I will probably get dinged with a few charges (customs, taxes, etc.). Such as life....Canadians usually get the short end of the stick.

Dave

I figured that since I read your post on the 3 Canadian boards that replying to one would be enough

GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Jul 03, 2001  1:18 AM 5

Originally posted by DavidY
Costa,

Dave

You should ask if he'd be willing to lower the value for your sake. Most I've dealt with don't mind. Some really have the fear of God in them when it comes to postal stuff though. Like anyone's gonna bother for a $60 mis-declaration!

Costa The Slaveboy
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > What value do you put on DVD trades to the U.S.?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:32 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)