It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > I Just Bought My First DVD!

I Just Bought My First DVD!

Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 6
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
bookhead  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Jan 07, 2002  7:25 PM 1

Today was D(VD)-Day for me -- my first (if you don't count the free copy of Babar: King of the Elephants , that I got in my cereal)!

I guess you now know why my alias isn't dvdhead...

As a matter of fact I don't even have a DVD player yet, I've never been much of a fan of watching movies at home on the TV, I seem to always fall asleep -- to me movies are meant for the big screen! The only reason I'm buying this one is for all the extras...

Any guesses which DVD it is? (...no, not Freddy Got Fingered)

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
gilsan  
Add gilsan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from gilsan
Send a Private Message to gilsan!Visit gilsan's homepage!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Bridgewater NS

Addiction Index™: 1440
Jan 07, 2002  8:03 PM 2

Originally posted by bookhead
Any guesses which DVD it is? (...no, not Freddy Got Fingered)

I think it was Moulin Rouge

Chuck  
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Jan 07, 2002  9:00 PM 4

New & Hot Teen Books at Chapters!

Lets see -- anything that did over $100 million in the box office we can count out. It has to be something non-mainstream as that seems to be your primary area of interest.

My guess is Magnolia .

www.kittyfantastico.com
Cyc66  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Cyc66 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Cyc66
Send a Private Message to Cyc66!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in St. Hubert
Quebec
Addiction Index™: 535
Jan 07, 2002  10:12 PM 5

The Fast and The Furious?
I bought it.. Lots of good extras and I enjoyed the movie.
Actually, could it be Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE? My friend just bought it, I can't wait to go over to his house and watch it....

brash  
Add brash to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from brash
Send a Private Message to brash!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1663
Jan 07, 2002  10:45 PM 6

I would say Moulin Rouge, since that was bookhead's top movie for last year. I think it safe to say that wasn't Pearl Harbour... he's got better taste than that.

DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY
Send a Private Message to DavidY!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Addiction Index™: 1965
Jan 07, 2002  10:55 PM 7

The animated version of The Lord of the Rings.

Dave

Cyc66  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Cyc66 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Cyc66
Send a Private Message to Cyc66!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in St. Hubert
Quebec
Addiction Index™: 535
Jan 07, 2002  10:58 PM 8

Maybe it was this one.

DavidY  
I live for Juju!
Add DavidY to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from DavidY

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Jan 07, 2002  11:00 PM 9

Originally posted by Chuck
Lets see -- anything that did over $100 million in the box office we can count out. It has to be something non-mainstream as that seems to be your primary area of interest.

My guess is Magnolia .

Or maybe your copy of Bikini Hotel?

Dave

bookhead  
Add bookhead to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bookhead
Send a Private Message to bookhead!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in side your computer

Addiction Index™: 1491
Jan 08, 2002  6:16 AM 10

Girls Gone Wild, Cyc66? I already have Vols. 1-8 on VHS...

No, Gilsan and Brash are correct (and vangleason too, with his anti-guess, but I'm still glowing from his "interesting list" comment about my Top 10 list, because, yes, he is basically a snob) - it is Moulin Rouge!

Chuck  
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Jan 08, 2002  10:02 AM 11

Originally posted by DavidY

Or maybe your copy of Bikini Hotel?

Dave

Yes -- this is a must have in any true DVD collectors library !

I could only part with my copy if someone had a sealed copy of Killer (OOP) for trade !

www.kittyfantastico.com
ChicoFox  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add ChicoFox to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ChicoFox
Send a Private Message to ChicoFox!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Winnipeg
I was adopted by frickin Belgians, eh?
Addiction Index™: 193
Jan 08, 2002  10:26 AM 12

Originally posted by bookhead
As a matter of fact I don't even have a DVD player yet, I've never been much of a fan of watching movies at home on the TV, I seem to always fall asleep -- to me movies are meant for the big screen!

So you bought Moulin Rouge? I didn't know it came bundled with a free pillow?

CigarsAndPars  
Growin' Gills!
Add CigarsAndPars to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from CigarsAndPars
Send a Private Message to CigarsAndPars!Visit CigarsAndPars's homepage!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in a pond
Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Addiction Index™: 774
Jan 08, 2002  10:45 PM 14

Originally posted by vangleason
Yes, I am a snob. And proud of it! The first dvd I ever purchased was the Criterion release of Nicholas Roeg's "Walkabout". Now THAT is a great movie!!! (On a related note, I now recall that the first laserdisc I ever purchased was the Criterion release of "Taxi Driver" in the CAV format. Still one of my most prized acquisitions and beats the hell out of the supposed collector's edition dvd.)

"Walkabout" is a pretty good one (7/10) and the DVD is decent, but not anamorphic, however, "Taxi Driver", which I once rated 9/10, today is only worth 5/10 in my book and I think I am being generous.

I watched Pearl Harbor for the first time yesterday and say whatever you want, but I enjoyed every minute of it! The three hours flew by very quickly and the DVD has great picture and sound. I watched both the History Channel documentary and the Making Of featurette after the movie and they were excellent as well.

In contrast, I watched The Patriot today and I checked the remaining time several times. Talk about ups and downs! I cannot name another movie where powerful scenes are interrupted with pathetic cliches and banality so frequently. Again, I am generous and give it 7/10, the same as I give "Bridget Jones's Diary" and "Moulin Rouge!". (These are all weak 7s, more like 6.5, while Walkabout is a strong 7, somewhere around 7.3). I think the stories of these movies (Patriot, BJD, MR!) are clearly more cliched than PH's, yet they are all critically acclaimed with very good reviews. Well, whatever...

Sonja: Sex without love is an empty experience.
Boris: Yes, but as far as empty experiences go, it's one of the best.

DavidY  
I live for Juju!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in love with DVDs!
B.C.
Jan 08, 2002  11:38 PM 15

Originally posted by CigarsAndPars

In contrast, I watched The Patriot today and I checked the remaining time several times. Talk about ups and downs! I cannot name another movie where powerful scenes are interrupted with pathetic cliches and banality so frequently. Again, I am generous and give it 7/10, the same as I give "Bridget Jones's Diary" and "Moulin Rouge!". (These are all weak 7s, more like 6.5, while Walkabout is a strong 7, somewhere around 7.3). I think the stories of these movies (Patriot, BJD, MR!) are clearly more cliched than PH's, yet they are all critically acclaimed with very good reviews. Well, whatever...

Is that the Superbit version of The Patriot? If so, have you compared it with the regular version?

I don't think that I will be upgrading to the Superbit version of The Patriot...since it was only a fair movie.

Dave

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 6
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > I Just Bought My First DVD!   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
12:12 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)